To those who use a helmet camera in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Sounds like we need a simple and easily memorable response to the "unaccountable" argument, then. Magnatom made a good comparison with pedestrians, which I liked, but Mr Moton claimed (incorrectly) that wasn't relevant as pedestrians don't use the roads.

I'd be thinking something along the lines of "this is a valid concern and obviously nobody is suggesting that cyclists should be above the law. But in practice, if you drive regularly I'm sure you see many many laws broken by all kinds of road users which the police just don't have the time or the will to tackle even if they're told the full number plate and a description of the vehicle - because, rightly, they will be concentrating on the more dangerous behaviours. So I think the question that needs asking about registration plates for cyclists is how often the cyclists are actually causing danger to other road users, and is the problem big enough to be worth introducing such a vast bureaucracy in registering them and enforcing that? And on that note it's worth looking at the hire bike scheme in London which does have licence numbers on the bikes, where we see that over the x months of its operation there have been a total of only two offences which were reported with the bike registration numbers"

I wouldn't go down the "it would discourage cycling" route, because the listening motorist is not automatically going to accept that encouraging cycling is a good thing and convincing them of that is a whole other argument. And it's too long already.

That's a fantastic argument. Although I would add the discouraging cycling thing as I think most motorists understand the benefits.

Jezston

Über Member
As I understand it, in Switzerland the administrative costs of the cyclist registration scheme outstrips the revenue.

They have such a scheme in Switzerland?

I think the friends I visited in Switzerland a few months back and whom I went riding with might need to be informed!

Magnatom,

Well done, you came across with a balanced and open minded view which can only help cyclists. Clearly not what the programme was seeking!

Morning (yes I'm still stuck in the US!). You are quite right, I don't think I was what the programme was looking for at all. In fact I was 'bundled' off at the end, i.e. whilst Steve Berry was still talking the producer cut my mike, said thanks for coming on and then hung up. All a bit rude and unprofessional, but hey ho.

There were a number of issues that I would have loved to have covered, and points that Steve made that I would loved to have rebutted, but you really are under significant time pressure and the interviewer has a lot of control to 'lead' your answers.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. The satisfaction in not giving them satisfaction is satisfying! :biggrin:

flyingtrain

hi everyone, i'm a new member, inspired by the bbc article.

i have thought about one of these for years. i commute in Edinburgh and will unlikly go a day without a close call with a motorist.

anyone know how much the whole package costs. article on beeb says £20 for camera, but how much is the rest? i would love one of these, mostly for the next time i am knocked off and the driver tries to blame me

Norm

Cheap cameras can be had for £20 and that's about it, if you have a handy SD card around. If you need the card too, that's probably about a fiver. They come with the cables that you'll need.

Dan B

Disengaged member
That's a fantastic argument. Although I would add the discouraging cycling thing as I think most motorists understand the benefits.

I grant you that most do (or should, if they think about it) but they're not the ones who believe this "cyclist vs motorists" bollocks in the first place, and the rest will think you're avoiding the question if you're asked "are cyclists unaccountable" and you go off on a tangent about obesity and the environment and how cycling reduces congestion for the remaining drivers. Better to get that in first or deal with it afterwards as a separate issue, imo

The Audacity download I made was 10.5mb (about 11.5min iirc). But I forgot I'd left the mike on so its got me sniggering a few times, especially when he mention 50cc mopeds.

Someone else provided the link I tried, not you (or is it yours?)

Is there another one?

Tried the said link again at home and its around 6mb - so im not sure whats going on...

Eurygnomes

Just a quick comment about something Steve Berry said about youtube clips of dangerous cycling across London/Bristol.

Yes: people do take those sorts of vids of themselves as well. You're never going to stop the 0.05% of cyclists who actually wish to injure/kill themselves. Just like you're never going to stop the 0.05% of motorcyclists who want to do the same. They'll always exist - for a short while at least. Possibly the best we can hope for is that they don't take anyone else out on their way. (seems harsh, but really).

And I HIGHLY doubt that Mr Berry hasn't seen the linked video. It was shown to us in our motorcycle training course (obviously with the tag lines of 'what not to do' and 'how far can you see ahead at this speed').

Now, I'm thinking of browsing online for a cam. I'm tired of being cut off by trucks/lorries/buses/taxis down by Blackfriars bridge Every. Single. Morning on the way to Victoria Embankment. And then again along there too - more by coaches though. :sad:

Try rapidshare or something of that sorts...

MovieMaker - add an image first and add the mp3 as the soundtrack for that...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Good on ya MT.

I would love Steve Berry (or any other pro-motoring lobbyist) to explain how a cyclist wearing a number plate will have any effect on stopping an inattentive driver from killing because 'I didn't see them'.

Once again the onus of responsibility for road safety is being pushed onto the most vulnerable, and THEY just can't see it.

I couldn't give a flying hoot if they fined £1000 for RLJing or any other traffic wrong-doing, because I am responsible, and ride accordingly.

I just don't understand how marking and identifying cyclists (for prosecution purposes) will do anything to stop drivers running into, maiming and killing people on bikes - cyclists that were in no way riding outside the law, and were perfectly visible?

Top Bottom