To those who use a helmet camera in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

If there are any media folks out there, why don't you take a risk and allow a proper debate on this, not just a mud sling contest. I think you'll find that people would be interested in it, and it could make a difference.
Meh! You probably know the answer.

It's because there is a rich motoring lobby out there, paid for by the car manufacturers and oil companies. Sounds paranoid but it's not: Each of these has a large and well-funded public relations department whose remit is precisely to counter any opinions which run against increasing car and oil sales. Their tools are sponsorship, influence, advertising and direct payment to media outlets and probably to "motoring journalists". They promote cycle helmet wearing and undoubtedly influence the BMC on this point. This is the organised and focused opposition which campaigners like the CTC face.

The question of whether the "spokespersons" of cycling lobby groups like CTC are sufficiently trained to have a chance against these professional media manipulators is therefore a pertinent one. Generally (magnatom's excellent performance here notwithstanding) amateurs are just not in the same league - financially certainly not.

Jezston

Über Member
So where is the bicycle industry in all this? Companies like Specialized and Shimano aren't exactly short of cash, why aren't they helping out?

flyingtrain

Hi there

i go from the east end of the meadows, to the royal high school in Barnton, taking in such nice places for cycling as tollcross and haymarket to get on the cycle path at rosburn, which then goes all the way.

Oh, and welcome along to CC, flyingtrain! :welcome:

There are a quite a few Edinburgh cyclists here. Which parts of Edinburgh do you cover on your commute?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
One of the things that strikes me about these conversations is the assumption that responsible cyclists should take responsibility for all the d**ks out there.
The chavs on BSOs, texting, in the dark, no lights, alternating between riding on the pavement and pulling stunts on the road, through red lights.

In the same way that all responsible drivers are responsible for all the unlicenced, uninsured, drivers speeding round in cars without a valid MOT.

Hold on... they're not are they?

I reckon in all cases you're LIABLE to be pulled over

The issue for me is enforcement of traffic laws, whatever vehicle. Along with the understanding of traffic laws by all users.

Helmet cameras are just a symptom of the current situation.

flyingtrain

fantastic, cheers

I bought a cheap Muvi clone online last year for £15 (plus the cost of an 8Gb miniSD card) which surprised me with the quality it produced; you can see a 10-min clip of part of my commute using it here. They're sold in a number of places online - I got mine from Memorybits.co.uk, but I don't think they sell them any more. **Edit** You can get one from 7dayshop for 10.99 for the camera only, £16.99 for cam & 4Gb card or £19.99 for the cam with an 8Gb card.

It's not a great cam in low-light situations though; for any decent low-light or night-time footage, you'll have to spend a bit more. Many cyclists on here get their more expensive kit from dogcamsport, I believe.

I've been stupidly busy at work so haven't seen or heard either the TV or radio pieces. I don't even know what I said in the interview. It's good to see the issues raised being discussed sensibly on cyclechat if not elsewhere. Thanks.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I've been stupidly busy at work so haven't seen or heard either the TV or radio pieces. I don't even know what I said in the interview. It's good to see the issues raised being discussed sensibly on cyclechat if not elsewhere. Thanks.

You did v well, Ben.

Sorry I didn't make sense the other day on the approach to the E&C - oxygen debt had robbed me of the power of speech.

Jezston

Über Member

Like Origamist said, you came across well. But did you HAVE to take you clothes off and do that ... 'dance'? I still don't understand why the BBC didn't cut it and instead chose to show it repeatedly in slow motion.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hi there

i go from the east end of the meadows, to the royal high school in Barnton, taking in such nice places for cycling as tollcross and haymarket to get on the cycle path at rosburn, which then goes all the way.

Part of my route uses the Roseburn Path between Groathill Avenue (down off Telford Road) and Corstorphine Road (just before the Roseburn Bar). You'll spot me in my CycleChat jersey over the summer when the weather's warm enough to wear it again!

fimm

Veteran

I've seen threads on it on

the CTC forum
the "TriTalk" triathlon forum
and UKC, a rockclimbing forum (it does have a rather large off-topic section)

Yes, I am a forum tart.
Would you be interested in links to the threads?

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 1299845"]
Let's not forget the local nut-house.
[/quote]
"Bolshy cyclists", indeed. Those uppity non-tax-paying unwashed freeloaders who don't know their place.

Ben,

You did good and came across very well.:bravo: You are of course getting the usual scrutiny with regards to your video and how you cycled that day. Perhaps you should adopt a similar signature to the one I have below maybe changing cyclist for road user. :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Ben,

You did good and came across very well.:bravo: You are of course getting the usual scrutiny with regards to your video and how you cycled that day. Perhaps you should adopt a similar signature to the one I have below maybe changing cyclist for road user. :smile:

Oh yes.. the "why didnt he stop" bollocks. Those kinds of commenters must be psychic, as they obviously know what the traffic is like directly behind Ben. :whistle:

Top Bottom