To wear or not to wear pants?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I must be lucky in that i don't suffer from chaffing, thankyou for the well wishes and suggestions
I suspect it may be down to a particular persons build. I've always worn underwear under cycling shorts, padded or not, it's never bothered me in the slightest, not the remotest discomfort, chaffing or wedging, even up to my longest rides of 80 miles..i dont use chamois cream either.
I don't carry any extra weight, quite a slim build. Perhaps that's why some can wear, some cannot.

As said in an earlier post, try both ways and find what suits.

lulubel

Über Member
It probably depends on the cut of the underwear, and the fabric it's made from. I've got some undershorts made from technical fabric that I wear under my cycling shorts occasionally, and I've never had any problems with chafing when I wear them.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I wore underwear under my shorts by mistake one day. Had chickened out of cycling cos I thought it was too cold then felt guilty when I saw my neighbour going out so quickly decided just to get out myself and threw on the gear and forgot to take of my knicks. Was also trying to break in a Brooks saddle at the time. Ended up in agony and was actually bleeding when I got back.......so never again for me anyway. Oh, and have also decided a Brooks isn't for me either.

Biker Joe

Über Member
No
I wore underwear under my shorts by mistake one day. Had chickened out of cycling cos I thought it was too cold then felt guilty when I saw my neighbour going out so quickly decided just to get out myself and threw on the gear and forgot to take of my knicks. Was also trying to break in a Brooks saddle at the time. Ended up in agony and was actually bleeding when I got back.......so never again for me anyway. Oh, and have also decided a Brooks isn't for me either.

No pain ,no gain. ( That was meant to be a touch of humour)^_^

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It probably depends on the cut of the underwear, and the fabric it's made from. I've got some undershorts made from technical fabric that I wear under my cycling shorts occasionally, and I've never had any problems with chafing when I wear them.
This is very true. Generally NO, but as above. Then there are the padded undershorts to wear under unpadded overs, and unpadded overs worn over padded ones. Whatever floats your boat.

always commando... I just have to remember to pack some knickers for when I get to physio, only forgotten the once :whistle:
and if I ever get knocked off my bike whilst wearing my north wave bib tights they really are going to wonder because don't even need a bra with those they are tighter across the top than my sports bras are...no knickers & no bra!:blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been cycling for over 40 years I've never worn padding and I always wear underwear, I've never felt the need for padding and I don't do commando in public.

D

Deleted member 1258

that's a relief...

I wouldn't feel comfortable in public without underwear.
I use either a pair of bamboo sports trunks
http://www.bambooclothing.co.uk/store/show_product/MA705-BLK
or a pair of ugly pants from here
http://www.microfibreboxers.com/

Top Bottom