Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not a commute ride but i took my bike out to the workshop for a little TLC about 4 miles away. Had the bike pretty much serviced on the spot and was back on the road in no time. Was cycling up a bit of an incline with my arse in the saddle and switching to lower gears for the climb. I was going at 10mph according to my velo and a guy in a BT van who wanted to pull out and join the road in front of me waited patiently for me to cycle past at my snail pace rather than put his foot down and pull out like most people do.

I made sure to give him a good ol' thumbs up and a nod as i went past.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This morning... I was on a stretch of road that has changed recently, and I'm now finding it harder (it used to be gridlocked with two sets of lights which allowed me to get into position to turn right early), now it seems to flow better but faster for traffic, so harder for me. When I looked behind a good distance from the junction there was a lorry, and so I was going to let it pass (immediately behind), but it didn't, looked several times and he guessed I wanted to move out - Thanks :thumbsup:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a very nice chat with a friendly HGV driver at j16 of the M5 this morning. I drew up alongside him at the lights and he said "good morning" and we had a good old natter about the foggy motorway he was about to join and where he'd been etc.

roger06

I made sure to give him a good ol' thumbs up and a nod as i went past.

I reckon that's so important and I try to do it as often as I can to help cyclist get a good name. I would do this in my motorbiking days as well for the same reason.

I also try to make sure I'm extremely polite to pedestrians - especially if I'm being a little naughty and am on a footpath!

roger06

Again, not on my commute but out for a pleasant family ride with kids seven and four, the latter behind me on a tag-along. We had to cross a busy road that leads from the beach so was really busy as it was a nice day. An oncoming chap in a Golf saw us there and, realising he probably had scores of cars behind him, slowed down, put on his hazards and waved us across. He got a wave, a thumbs up and a verbal 'thank you' as he passed, which he probably didn't hear!

RichardB

Slightly retro
I reckon that's so important and I try to do it as often as I can to help cyclist get a good name. I would do this in my motorbiking days as well for the same reason.
Me too. A smile, a wave, a thumbs-up - costs nothing and creates good vibes. And the next cyclist they encounter, they might just remember.

I also do this when a motorist hangs back and waits for a safe overtaking opportunity. Funnily enough, when I'm in my car and do the same, I find cyclists hardly ever acknowledge it.

I've had quite a few incidents this week of cars and vans stuck in slow traffic pulling out slightly when they've seen me cycling along the inside. Not even a safety issue as there was more or less enough space and no corners involved...just being considerate.

Grumpyfatman

For the first time in ages I managed a commute to work without a single close pass and even had drivers waiting for me where usually they would turn in front of me.
Thank you well behaved drivers, this mornings commute was a pleasure

Wafer

Veteran
Not what a driver did today but what an organisation did in response to my grumbling about a near miss involving a fairly large truck turning left at a no left turn junction. They got some details off me and I heard back that the driver had been identified and given a 'rigorous telling off' resulting in a final warning.... I'd much rather the chap just drove sensibly (at least legally) than lose his job but I'm encouraged that the public sector organisation concerned took it seriously enough to deal with in that way. I was kind of expecting a vague reassurance that they'd remind their drivers to be careful or something...

biking_fox

Guru
shouted at me - a van driver. Two lanes of stationary traffic with a cycle lane. I was proceeding with caution. Ahead I could see a white van edging from the pavement into the non-existant space in the traffic, impeding my passage, I slowed, a little irritated. However the van then pulled forward completely on the pavement leaving my way clear. I'd already waved a thanks, but got a "That was for you that was" as I passed the window, so gave a much bigger wave as I rode into the distance.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
shouted at me - a van driver. Two lanes of stationary traffic with a cycle lane. I was proceeding with caution. Ahead I could see a white van edging from the pavement into the non-existant space in the traffic, impeding my passage, I slowed, a little irritated. However the van then pulled forward completely on the pavement leaving my way clear. I'd already waved a thanks, but got a "That was for you that was" as I passed the window, so gave a much bigger wave as I rode into the distance.

I'm not sure driving on the pavement is the sign of a good driver, but nice of him to get out of your way I suppose.
Would have been better had he not creeped out in the first place.

Top Bottom