Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D-J-R-9

Cycling along single track country lane the other week - saw two chelsea tractors speeding towards me, about to fear the worst - front one braked and took to the grass verge (second one followed also) to let me pass without hinderence - I gave friendly wave as thanks - then noted the driver was HRH Wills with Kate in the passenger seat and the second car was their minders!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Cycling along single track country lane the other week - saw two chelsea tractors speeding towards me, about to fear the worst - front one braked and took to the grass verge (second one followed also) to let me pass without hinderence - I gave friendly wave as thanks - then noted the driver was HRH Wills with Kate in the passenger seat and the second car was their minders!

Killing peasants is bad PR.

clay_bs7

Regular
A man in a white van flashed his lights at me to let me know it was OK to cut him off on a busy Muller Road this morning. Saved me from freezing my butt even even more than I was.

Jimidh

Veteran
Old lad peeped at me today at lights and complimented me on my rear lights.

Tin Pot

Guru
Cycling across London in rush hour Weds;

1. Taxi in outside lane made way for me to change lanes

2. White delivery van made way for me to change lanes and thanked me on my road etiquette afterwards

Clanghead

On my commute home through the city last night, I was overtaken twice by one of those fancy/ugly Range Rover Vogues, and on each occasion she gave me well over a car's width of room, crossing to the other side of the central white line. I thumbed up to show my appreciation both times.

What's the hand signal to other drivers for "See - that's how it should be done"?

RichardB

Slightly retro
A lot of my riding is on rural single-lane roads. If there's a car behind, I usually press on a bit so as not to hold them up, and pull over when it's safe to let them through. If they don't crowd me and pass wide, I always give them a wave of thanks. What is a bit disappointing is that I am always super-careful when I am in my car and pass a cyclist. Many times I have followed a bike at a safe distance for perhaps half a mile until there was a safe place to overtake. I can't remember a cyclist ever showing a sign of appreciation. I'm glad to see that so many people here make the effort to do so. Rewarding good behaviour is far better than getting angry at bad behaviour. Ask anyone who has trained a dog.

Ed Phelan

I was cycling along the coast over the weekend and encountered some friendly words of encouragement during a particularly tough hill from a man in a black Toyota Yaris. He could obviously tell I was struggling...was very unexpected and nice none-the-less.

Top Bottom