Today when I exercised my democratic right...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There was a chap coming out as I went in at 8.30ish (am), but I was the only one in there. The clerk looked at my address and said what a nice street it was to live in.

Apparently people were turned away in various places at 10pm, because of the queues. They seriously couldn't get there earlier?

Still, gives them something to moan about.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Arch said:
There was a chap coming out as I went in at 8.30ish (am), but I was the only one in there. The clerk looked at my address and said what a nice street it was to live in.

Apparently people were turned away in various places at 10pm, because of the queues. They seriously couldn't get there earlier?

Still, gives them something to moan about.

And a possible challenge on the legality of the election?

Noodley

snorri said:
When I arrived at the Polling Station one of the clerks was standing outside taking the air, but he shot inside as I parked the bike.

I bet, especially if it was parking yer bike in Billy Connolly styl-ee..:blush:

redddraggon

Blondie
Cathryn said:
Queues at Leeds as well come 9.30...I think it was all the students, to be honest.

Haha I didn't decide I was going to vote til 9pm tonight, I voted in Manchester Central, while it wasn't dead there wasn't a big queue either.

Norm

I cycled to the Polling Station today, which felt strangely refreshing.

Not sure why, probably some deep psychological reasoning why the fat **gger on the bike felt good exercising himself as well as his democracy amongst the Yummie Mummies in their Volvo 4x4's and the "I'm barely old enough to retire" men in the Merc cabriolets.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
went in at 5.30 (round here about an hour after rush hour!), There were only two of us there, but there were a few wondering in as i unlocked my bike. More of a trickle than a rush though

Voted on the way to work (slight detour), at about 8am. Pretty quiet. An SNP lady outside looked after my bike. That didn't sway my vote though!:blush:

Noodley

The clerk's at my 'designated table' had never heard of my address/location so were just about to make efforts to visit 'elsewhere' to check I was not some loony....until elder Noodlette intervened :blush:

There is benefit of having a surly teenager...

Clerks: "We cannae find you, are you sure you are at the right table..?"
Surly Teenager, before I could answer: "she told my dad to come here (gesturing to the woman on the door) and I checked it (looking at the clerks as if they dared to challenge her being right)"
Clerks (to me): "So does your address start with N or D"
Surly Teenager: "<rolls eyes> Dad, are they not listening? I can see it from here....<points to the list>...there it is. Sheesh."
Clerks: "<look nervous>...<I let them>....here you are sir, please accept our apologies for the delay, nobody from your postcode has voted so we did not know where to look"
Surly teenager: "<looking at list, we are 'country folk set in out ways> Ian and Alison have voted, and so have Margaret and Gordon..." (and then under her breath - "It's alphabetical you muppet...")

I'm glad I took her

Noodley

Gerry Attrick said:
Noodley, could I possibly borrow her for a couple of days. I have a problem with my insurance company she could perhaps help me with?

I doubt you'll find her of much use....she'll disagree with you and them!!!

Maz

Guru
when i went, the lib dems [knew from their rosettes] were standing outside the polling station asking people if they wouldnt mind telling them the reference number on their polling card before entering, and then they wrote them down. Don't know why they did that, really.

Norm

It happens quite a lot, Maz, they are checking the number of people voting and where they come from. From memory, it's happened every time I've voted for at least the last 20 years.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've been reading of lots of you cycling to your polling station. I couldn't. I walked across road to local school. If I'd cycled there I'd have had to walk around the back to the garages to get my bike and ride round 3 streets to get to school and met girlfriend coming out from voting.
Both of us voted Labour in a very Tory area.
It is wrong to decide what others vote by how they act rest of year but we have a lady who used to hunt, Tory local councillor, rich farmer, single mother with rich parents who bought her house for her, Christadelphian (?) and others who only worries seem to be how many foreign holidays or new cars they get this year.

Top Bottom