Today when I exercised my democratic right...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Maz said:
when i went, the lib dems [knew from their rosettes] were standing outside the polling station asking people if they wouldnt mind telling them the reference number on their polling card before entering, and then they wrote them down. Don't know why they did that, really.
I used to work for the labour party at the local polling station. We and the Tories collected the No.s from peoples polling cards so we could let our election headquarters know who had voted so know where to send cars or loudspeakers to get voters out. We shared info and even told each other who someone, who refused to let us know their No. If we knew them. Always was very amicable and friendly amongst parties. Libs never got involved in this polling station counting.

Crankarm

Guru
Noodley said:
The clerk's at my 'designated table' had never heard of my address/location so were just about to make efforts to visit 'elsewhere' to check I was not some loony....until elder Noodlette intervened :laugh:

There is benefit of having a surly teenager...

Clerks: "We cannae find you, are you sure you are at the right table..?"
Surly Teenager, before I could answer: "she told my dad to come here (gesturing to the woman on the door) and I checked it (looking at the clerks as if they dared to challenge her being right)"
Clerks (to me): "So does your address start with N or D"
Surly Teenager: "<rolls eyes> Dad, are they not listening? I can see it from here....<points to the list>...there it is. Sheesh."
Clerks: "<look nervous>...<I let them>....here you are sir, please accept our apologies for the delay, nobody from your postcode has voted so we did not know where to look"
Surly teenager: "<looking at list, we are 'country folk set in out ways> Ian and Alison have voted, and so have Margaret and Gordon..." (and then under her breath - "It's alphabetical you muppet...")

I'm glad I took her

The computer says : "No....odley :blush:!"

iLB

Hello there
well i didn't get to vote :/ turned away from sheffield hallum, had a bit of a protest thing inside, but i left under the influence of police woman, and i'm on the flipping news for a few seconds queuing outside!

IMAG0082.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Norm said:
I cycled to the Polling Station today, which felt strangely refreshing.

Not sure why, probably some deep psychological reasoning why the fat **gger on the bike felt good exercising himself as well as his democracy amongst the Yummie Mummies in their Volvo 4x4's and the "I'm barely old enough to retire" men in the Merc cabriolets.

Dogger? Wrong thread Norm;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
S'funny.... I spotted a copy of Woman's Own and a Next catalogue beside the clerks' table as well. What's going on?

We also had to queue for 3 or 4 minutes, never seen that before. We walked the 500 yards to the polling station; our fat useless whining neighbours drove there and back!

Arch said:
Apparently people were turned away in various places at 10pm, because of the queues. They seriously couldn't get there earlier?

Still, gives them something to moan about.

They were interviewing people about this on as much of Election Night Special as I could stay awake for (I'd been up since 3am the previous morning). One woman was saying she'd been down to vote at 6, 7 and 8pm and each time decided to come back later when the queues had gone down, as any of us might. Only when she went back at 9pm did she realise she might not get to vote. I have some sympathy with people in that position and from what I can see it was a relatively common scenario last night.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Globalti said:
S'funny.... I spotted a copy of Woman's Own and a Next catalogue beside the clerks' table as well. What's going on?

We also had to queue for 3 or 4 minutes, never seen that before. We walked the 500 yards to the polling station; our fat useless whining neighbours drove there and back!

It's shocking that they don't use common sense and locate the polling stations at big supermarkets or fast food drive throughs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sure drive-through voting would get a much higher turnout as people wouldn't even have to leave their cars.

Top Bottom