Today's cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Knightly85

Screenshot_20200427-130958_MapMyRide.jpg

So 4th day of cycling (first on new bike) I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm 34, about 100 kilos and I smoke, want to get fit and lose weight so I've started to cycle. Need to work on a better average speed and I want to hit 20 miles soon, but so far I'm proud of myself.

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
:welcome:

vickster

Legendary Member
View attachment 518334

So 4th day of cycling (first on new bike) I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm 34, about 100 kilos and I smoke, want to get fit and lose weight so I've started to cycle. Need who work on a better average speed and I want to hit 20 miles soon, but so far I'm proud of myself.
Well done.
There‘s never been a more urgent time to stop smoking too 👍

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Thanks I've done 60 miles in 4 days now, do you think I'm over doing it for a unfit beginner ?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If you're still feeling keen after those four rides then probably not. Do have the occasional rest day to allow the muscles time to recover and you'll find you can steadily improve as you go.

the snail

Guru
Well done.
There‘s never been a more urgent time to stop smoking too 👍
Not that I'd encourage smoking, but there have been reports that corona virus illness rates are lower for smokers, and the french were testing nicotine patches to protect against it?
Thanks I've done 60 miles in 4 days now, do you think I'm over doing it for a unfit beginner ?
If you're not hurting... no problem!

C R

Guru
It may be worth taking some rest in between, specially if you haven't been active for some time. Also would make sense to mix other forms of exercise, such as walking.

BTW, there's a Your Ride Today thread in the Cafe section where some of us share images, maps and stories about our rides.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not that I'd encourage smoking, but there have been reports that corona virus illness rates are lower for smokers, and the french were testing nicotine patches to protect against it?

If you're not hurting... no problem!
One small anecdotal trial in Paris. Nicotine may be shown have some weird benefit, but all the other noxious stuff in cigarettes almost certainly don’t. Given 8% deaths in people with chronic respiratory disease (mostly COPD in older male smokers) it seems extremely unlikely that smoking is beneficial and at odds with all the other findings and advice. Anyhow I think it’s widely accepted that smoking isn’t good for you on many levels, CV19 aside

DSK

Welcome and good for you! That's not bad at all! You may want to start looking at routes that combines some accents/hills to challenge you a bit as they will assist in make the flats that much easier.

Happy cycling

Top Bottom