Today's cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Yes-be patient and don't go too hard too soon:hugs:.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Screenshot_20200429-115224_MapMyRide.jpg
20200429_112027.jpg

So today was my hardest but most beautiful cycle so far. I decided I would follow a route made from the cycle app I use, little did I know how hard the cycle would be! For over half of my cycle everything was pretty much uphill and boy I was struggling (many times I almost gave up) but I pushed myself through it showing an average speed of around 6.5mph. I realised how unfit I really am when a guy in his 60s (I'm guessing) easily over took me as I was putting every effort I had into it, he smiled and said 'hello' and that was it he was gone. Wow I mean come on I'm 34 years old and just been owned by this guy lol. After pushing myself I noticed about half way into my ride I had the most beautiful view and realised how high I had cycled, I had to take a few shots. I got to finally cycle down the hill, omg it was so amazing I had so much adrenaline in me. Once I finished my route I was like yeah that was hard but by far the most beautiful, enjoyable and satisfying cycle I've had so far.

20200429_112011.jpg

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
View attachment 518701 View attachment 518702

So today was my hardest but most beautiful cycle so far. I decided I would follow a route made from the cycle app I use, little did I know how hard the cycle would be! For over half of my cycle everything was pretty much uphill and boy I was struggling (many times I almost gave up) but I pushed myself through it showing an average speed of around 6.5mph. I realised how unfit I really am when a guy in his 60s (I'm guessing) easily over took me as I was putting every effort I had into it, he smiled and said 'hello' and that was it he was gone. Wow I mean come on I'm 34 years old and just been owned by this guy lol. After pushing myself I noticed about half way into my ride I had the most beautiful view and realised how high I had cycled, I had to take a few shots. I got to finally cycle down the hill, omg it was so amazing I had so much adrenaline in me. Once I finished my route I was like yeah that was hard but by far the most beautiful, enjoyable and satisfying cycle I've had so far.

View attachment 518704
Wow, Box Hill open again, or did you have a sneaky clamber over the barriers?!

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Wow, Box Hill open again, or did you have a sneaky clamber over the barriers?!

Hey, there was some barriers there but I thought that was just to stop cars? I assumed bikes were allowed as I see some others go past them and plenty of walkers.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hey, there was some barriers there but I thought that was just to stop cars? I assumed bikes were allowed as I see some others go past them and plenty of walkers.
Damn, the Nat Trust website still says "The Zig Zag Road at Box Hill is now closed with no through access for cycles or cars. Please do not drive or cycle here. Box Hill car parks are closed, please do not travel here."

Seems pretty clear!

Edited to add: The Zig Zag is privately owned, not a public right of way.

There are other rights of way up the hill. Will post an update later if they're open.

Update: No sign of any closures of the Box Hill rights of way on the Mole Valley website. So if you wanted a bracing offroad climb you could take the bridleway from the bottom of the Zig Zag (just to the right), which goes directly up to the old fort. Reckon I last did that in 1985 on an old 5 speed racer!
The Nat Trust website sets a disappointing tone of what they think of cycling (a legally permitted activity during lockdown), but as far as I can see there is nothing (in law) to stop you using that bridleway. You might encounter grumpy yokels with pitchforks...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Damn, the Nat Trust website still says "The Zig Zag Road at Box Hill is now closed with no through access for cycles or cars. Please do not drive or cycle here. Box Hill car parks are closed, please do not travel here."

Seems pretty clear!

Okay mate, no need to have a go I'm new to all this. I never checked any website just followed a route on my app, but now I know.

Top Bottom