Tomorrows storm upgraded to Red alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Upgraded from amber to red here, kids’ school has just decided to close. I have taken the precaution of moving the cars away from the house, should any roof tiles decide to detach. Sadly the caravan remains in the firing line so fingers crossed. Getting blustery here now.

South Cumbria here so this afternoon before it hits and we're on the edge of it I think. I finish before 12pm so with luck home by quarter to 1. Car is on road away from house, van is at the side and to the gable end. Unlikely to get hit by roof tiles. Plus our house has the newest roof in the run of houses it's part of.

All big trees are up the hill that's the back garden. Far enough away not to hit the house. Plus all the dodgy trees are sheltered by safe ones or they fell down long before we moved in. The house being backed by a hill with the main wind direction being mostly from the hill side we're usually not getting the worst of storms.

The arwen storm was bad because it was from an uncommon direction, the North. That sounded like a jet engine blowing down the street. Scary to say the least! We went to bed before 9pm to avoid listening to the worst of it. Trees were down everywhere because they grow to resist the predominant wind direction westerly south-westerly not from the north. This storm I think is from the usual direction so I expect fewer trees to be taken out locally. Branches I expect but not many full trees.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
getting the odd gust up here in the mountains of south wales.......so far i would say wednesday was worse, due to it carrying the rain with it

Well, can't do any more to move / weigh things down in the west / sea facing rear garden. Wind currently in the 60's, but from SSW which gives us a tad of shelter. Due to swing to Westerly and c87mph in next half an hour, when the fun starts.

In London W14, I didn't even have to take a taxi ride to the local eaterie for fear that my immaculate hair would be ruffled. We're made of sterner stuff in Shepherds Bush.
let's see - the weather forecast I saw yesterday has now become an official RED alert - I think the news said those are verry rare for london and maybe this might be the first ever one**. London usually misses anything extreme. winds high 10 until about 3 I think it's saying, highest around lunchtime. Will see if anything is left of the transport service by the time I have to go out late afternoon.

** edit - yes - first ever red since the system came in in 2011.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Dunno what the actual wind speed is here (Glos, about 20 miles N of Bristol, on the very edge of the red alert area). But it feels very odd because the sky is blue and the sun is shining. I'm used to rain lashing on the south end of the house when we get storms. If it veers more westerly than south-westerly, we might get a bit of shelter from the small hill we're on.
Anticipating losing some fence panels, at least (most are half-rotted to start with!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Upgraded from amber to red here, kids’ school has just decided to close. I have taken the precaution of moving the cars away from the house, should any roof tiles decide to detach. Sadly the caravan remains in the firing line so fingers crossed. Getting blustery here now.

I used to do that when the house was new, as you could hear the roof joints 'moving' under the air pressure changes in the roof space. Doesn't seem to do that anymore. Not too bad here at present, but the cars may move later

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's been bad here in Plymouth since about 07:30. I'm hoping this is the peak but it was forecast from 9-12. I've lashed my bins together and put bags of sand on them, unfortunately my garage is mid-refurb so no room in there for them. There are lots of loud whistling noises that I've never heard my house make before. Forecast said winds of up to 90mph but I have no way of measuring them!

Top Bottom