Tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Yeti said:
Cars, like roads, are built as a compromise. It's all a balance between cost, performance and who needs to use it.

Most of us simply modify the car to better suit what we want.

Just for the record, my personal opinion is ridiculous bodykits are hideous and anyone fitting one should be shot, or maybe run over.

It's quite funny watching the guys with ridiculously OTT bodykits and spoilers coming to work to pick up their girlfriends, crawling over the speedbumps at less than walking pace, ashen-faced, hanging out of their windows trying to see round to front of their cars, terrified their expensive extras are about to be torn off. Some of these things are almost scraping the ground and I'd think that even hitting something like an empty plastic Coke bottle in the road would wreck the front spoilers !

IMO that was a good story from the BBC.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
From the beeb feature: "There is an onus on all road users to educate themselves".

Obviously not something bothering 'Coachdriverjed'. I was going to say "Is it something about Scottish bus drivers", then I realised he's just up the road from me in Huddersfield. :sad:

Glad the Sheffield drivers don't show this level of ignorance

I thought I should pipe up as it was me that sold Yeti his bike for £30 :sad:

Interesting reading, this thread and the other one. Good to see that in general modified/performance car owners are more respectful on the road, I can fully appreciate what magnatom is saying as if you actually care about your vehicle, you are more likely to look after it - compared to someone who just sees it as a method of getting from A to B.

Normal car drivers seem to be the nuggets out there most of the time though, or those that are on the road so much they neglect the most basic rules from the highway code. There are a LOT of cab drivers who dont indicate, pull out randomly and will do pretty much anything to stop dead for a fare.Coupled with company reps in company cars (is there anything you could care less for than a free company car?) and other menaces I can fully see why magnatom films what goes on. I'd love to capture drivers on video being dicks, but my collection would mainly consist of school mums and old grannies.

As for the death threats (at least the joke ones on my site) they amount to nothing more than being told at school that "Im going to boot your balls". Having heard this many times in my life I do not remember once instance of my testicles ever being impacted. Just as people call each others names like "you're a dick" it doesnt mean that they literaly have a shiny purple head and a thick vein running down their back.

Props for the coverage fella.

Rikki

Yeti

You know, I'm laughing right now because one of my taxis is doing it's shift tonight with no working indicators at all....

I had to teach the guy how to 'indicate' with his arm out of the window.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Yeti said:
You know, I'm laughing right now because one of my taxis is doing it's shift tonight with no working indicators at all....

I had to teach the guy how to 'indicate' with his arm out of the window.

Oooops definitely illegal.....:sad:

RANDOM

gambatte said:
From the beeb feature: "There is an onus on all road users to educate themselves".

Obviously not something bothering 'Coachdriverjed'. I was going to say "Is it something about Scottish bus drivers", then I realised he's just up the road from me in Huddersfield. :sad:

Glad the Sheffield drivers don't show this level of ignorance

Thankfully we are not all bad drivers,i for one can drive my bus very well.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
RANDOM said:

Said it before, I can only comment on their driving round here -Sheffield bus drivers are great as far as I'm concerned.

gambatte said:

Wot really! It never used to be: Motorbikes and all that, rotating the right arm in a car. Not sure about nightime though.

Anyway Rikki and Yeti, you both seem to be projecting an entirely different image on this forum to the other, which is good, gives me hope but calling for some sense on the cruiser forum wouldn't go amiss.

Me! If I was gonna mod a car - Ford Cortina Mk1, never liked the Fiesta, sorry. I did once own a half modded Morris Minor with a 1275GT engine in it but it looked.... well, like a Morris Minor really :biggrin:

Cab

RANDOM said:

Most bus drivers seem just fine to me. The trouble is, it doesn't take many for busses to become really rather frightening. Big vehicles with big blind spots and a tendency to stop and start require that the driver be good and that everyone else remains alert, so it doesn't take much to go wrong before bus drivers start getting a way worse reputation than they deserve.

Cab

Crackle said:
W
Anyway Rikki and Yeti, you both seem to be projecting an entirely different image on this forum to the other, which is good, gives me hope but calling for some sense on the cruiser forum wouldn't go amiss.

And would I think be required before I'd buy the persona they're putting forward here as genuine.

Crackle said:
Me! If I was gonna mod a car - Ford Cortina Mk1, never liked the Fiesta, sorry. I did once own a half modded Morris Minor with a 1275GT engine in it but it looked.... well, like a Morris Minor really :sad:

I'd modify my black Volvo 240 estate. No, don't laugh. I'd lower the suspension and put a 3.5 litre V8 in it but otherwise leave it looking pretty standard. If only I could afford the petrol.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
gambatte said:

I used to design busses. I was working on the rear end of a new 'Autobus' minicoach (now part of Optare). Cos of that I'd been looking at legislation round lighting etc. working out what variation of positions we could put 'em.

Anyway my car was in the process of being written off. Someone couldn't see a bright red 2.3lt carlton parked on a main road in daylight....:biggrin:

Ins co tried reducing the amount of payout and delivering the car back to me, it still had 'residual value'.:biggrin:

I pointed out to them, defective lights are illegal.

During daylight theres a defence that they've just gone, you'll sort them ASAP.
At night theres NO defence.

Told them They could only deliver the motor to me 'on the road'. As their insured had damaged the light cluster it was illegal. I wasn't prepared to accept an illegal vehicle in an illegal position.

10 mins later they decided to keep the car and paid up.:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom