Tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is slightly OT to the main thread, perhaps worthy of it's own if someone thinks so.

But in my mind, I've been debating the use of cameras and whether it is actually good. On the one hand I'm thinking, yes they are a force for good and on the other I'm thinking it's just something else for frustrated motorists to resent and resentment can breed aggression.

Subtly we begin to move from a situation where most motorists either tolerate or understand our presence on the road to a situation where they actually don't like us but fear the consequences.

I almost feel we should develop a code for their use which includes positive comments as illustrations:?:

This is not the same as increasing driver awareness of cyclists need, having a camera is part of that but it needs to be a positive part and at the moment I feel it's a bit negative in it's use.

What do others think?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Positive reinforcement is the best motivator. Criticism doesn't work well unless done very carefully and with respect, sandwiched between two slices of praise.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
I almost feel we should develop a code for their use which includes positive comments as illustrations:?:

I have tried to put comments on my videos that show WHY a move is bad, rather than just hectoring, so I agree with this. But it can be hard to find anything positive to say, and time is limited and so on.

I suppose I could put up a film of a load of people not doing anything particularly wrong, or being very good, but to be honest, would many people view it? People like to see confrontation, alas....

wafflycat

BentMikey said:
Positive reinforcement is the best motivator. Criticism doesn't work well unless done very carefully and with respect, sandwiched between two slices of praise.

Aye. This is why on more than one occasion I've dropped a line to companies where their drivers have shown me courtesy & respect when I'm in cyclist mode. From the feedback I've received from such, it has always been appreciated by the companies & the drivers. Also, when cycling, I will say thank you, give a thank you wave etc. if safe to do so at the time.

Crackle said:
This is slightly OT to the main thread, perhaps worthy of it's own if someone thinks so.

But in my mind, I've been debating the use of cameras and whether it is actually good. On the one hand I'm thinking, yes they are a force for good and on the other I'm thinking it's just something else for frustrated motorists to resent and resentment can breed aggression.

Subtly we begin to move from a situation where most motorists either tolerate or understand our presence on the road to a situation where they actually don't like us but fear the consequences.

This is not the same as increasing driver awareness of cyclists need, having a camera is part of that but it needs to be a positive part and at the moment I feel it's a bit negative in it's use.

What do others think?

Crackle

Absolutely spot on, I have been thinking along these lines myself, I am divided by the perceived protection they might give and the increased aggression towards yet another means of monitoring.

spindrift

Um, a contrary view would be that the death threats on Bloodbus and Strathclyde Cruisers are the inevitable consequence of the tectonic Plates of road users rubbing up against one another?

More cycling, a cycling renaissance, means a higher profile, means nuttters creep out of the woodwork.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
spindrift said:
More cycling, a cycling renaissance, means a higher profile, means nuttters creep out of the woodwork.

It would be the nutters creeping out of the Clyde Tunnel I would be wary of :eek:

spindrift

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
It would be the nutters creeping out of the Clyde Tunnel I would be wary of :eek:

push him! hes top heavy with that camera anyway
icon_lol.gif

http://www.strathycruise.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=90033&start=50

spindrift said:
Um, a contrary view would be that the death threats on Bloodbus and Strathclyde Cruisers are the inevitable consequence of the tectonic Plates of road users rubbing up against one another?

Yes, there's a certain strata who will always exist, you will never convince them but I'm talking about possibly alienating the majority not the minority who just need to be dealt with: That's the positives for having a camera.

And with a cycling renaissance even more of a reason to spin a positive light. Magnatom himself has talked about saying positive things when he was looking for slogans.

cannondale boy

Über Member
It's good to see a cyclist of yourself magna, getting the message across on a wider audience. Of course it won't stop them trying to knock you off your bike...lets face it, some uk drivers are crap and i wonder how they passed.

I have been thinking of getting a camera, just for my safety and well being. If you ever did get knocked over, you have the evidence on film, which is a reassurance in court.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
What these guys fail to understand, or even attempt to understand, is that guys like Magnatom don’t do this to be spiteful.

The group of riders killed or hospitalised in Wales just over a year ago, Mel Vasey wiped out and his mates hospitalised this year near Merseyside. The Olympic hopeful, killed by a council van a few weeks ago in Scotland…. These are just the ones that pop immediately to mind. A couple more minutes and names like Emma Foe come to mind.

These guys on Bloodbus etc complain, “it’s not right, it risks my job.”

Sorry, drivers need educating - your job or someones life, someones dad, someones spouse.

If Mags doesn’t post, what’s your reason to not do it again? What stops you repeating your mistakes until someone is killed or seriously injured?

“Sorry mate, I didn’t see you”
“the sun was in my eyes”
“You must have come out of nowhere”
“I couldn’t leave any more room, I was being overtaken”

We’ve probably all heard at least one of these.

We’ve also heard of drivers blaming the cyclist when the coppers turn up, to only change their mind when its pointed out there’s a recording device!

Then when you add to the ignorant, careless driving all the truly awful aggressive ones.

Being forced off the road
Having missiles thrown
Yobs hanging out of moving vehicles, hurling abuse
Assaults by said youths…..

I believe in Kent we had some reports of cyclists being pushed from the road into ditches, by car passengers. Think they resulted in a paralysis and maybe a death?

No wonder that more and more cyclists are wearing cams. I’ll be getting one. I’ll not be posting on youtube. But I will probably be sending more evidence of bad and dangerous driving to employers and the police.

wafflycat

+2

What many of the petrolheads who don't like their bad driving exposed forget is that as cyclists, most of us are also motorists, so it's not some kind of anti-motorist rant, as we too are motorists. What magnatom is exposing is bad driving, pure & simple: the stuff that, if they did it on their driving test, they'd not get a licence in the first place. The problem is, when driving behaviour is bad, you're likely to end up killing or injuring some innocent bystander, cyclist, pedestrian or other motorist. We've got to get away from the mistaken belief that as soon as we hold a driving licence, the good manners, the care towards other road users, goes out of the window and you can do what you want with no thought for others: especially when in charge of a tonne or more of metal moving at speed. Everyone makes mistakes, and it isn't always the fault of the driver when something goes wrong, but there's a heck of a gulf between that and the attitude of some of the petrolheads displayed.

Top Bottom