Tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:
Good work magnatom, i feel a bit embarrassed that I posted "lame" after your pedestrian interaction.

This is all positive, the squeels from the liars and illiterate psychopaths on Bloodbus is evidence this campaign is working.

"Vigilante" is entirely the wrong word, are CCTVs in banks "vigilantes"?

Only idiot drivers have anything to fear from being monitored, that's why rolo's whining and snivelling like the gutless freak he is.

Vigilante: One who takes or advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That was a good report - I thought the Sun article was actually interesting too, despite using the term vigilante, it made it very clear that Magnatom (the mysterious caped crusader, apparently!) was filming 'dodgy drivers.'

I've decided I am going to write an academic piece about all this. Surveillance by ordinary people, lateral surveillance (watching each other) or 'Sousveillance' (watching from below) is a very current topic at the moment. As a cyclist too, I'm doubly interested. I'll probably contact a number of you privately to talk about this further, of that's okay.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domtyler said:
Vigilante: One who takes or advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands.

I'm not sure that a helmet camera cyclist is doing that, and defo not Magnatom. He's simply bringing unwanted publicity to lawbreaking drivers, and leaving any "justice" up to their employers.

yello

Someone was bound to say it...

When cyclists pay road tax, insurance and abide by the rules of the road only then will they deserve any respect.

..I'd have felt let down if it wasn't said :biggrin:

Respect to you magnatom. I wouldn't have done it myself. I reckon you came across well on the tele, very balanced. I do hope none of the idiots on the road try something stupid.

wafflycat

BentMikey said:
I'm not sure that a helmet camera cyclist is doing that, and defo not Magnatom. He's simply bringing unwanted publicity to lawbreaking drivers, and leaving any "justice" up to their employers.

I tend to agree. Would said drivers be complaining if he'd filmed them doing *good* driving and let their employers know? I seriously doubt it: they'd be puffing up the chests in pride at what a wonderful example they are setting...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?

Excellent, give them ours too while you're at it. He's an obnoxious pr*ck with a vacancy between his ears.

Well done Mags, btw.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bianco said:
I love that couple in the car opposing the borg.

Not on the dole at all!

Yes, why did the words "slack jawed yokel" come into my head at that point?:biggrin:

I thought that was very good Magnatom - you joked a while ago that you were going to be measured by the 'Arch' standard, well, I think you easily match it. In fact, you get extra points for having an interesting regional accent.;)

But why did I think you had a beard?

Let's face it, it's going to take years and years of drip drip drip to get some people to think of bad driving as something that matters - just like with drink driving, and stuff like that. I'm afraid we either keep on niggling, or give up and start wearing suits of armour with pillows tied to it. Actually, I bet THAT would get you some space. Good on you Magnatom, for having the guts - I'm nowhere near as courageous about tackling people face to face and I admire your courage, even if I wouldn't do it myself. Keep safe though.

And the comment from the police about going to them in the first instance. Does anyone think the police know how little faith some of us have in them (and the courts) to actually do anything? So many of us complain that they won't or don't follow things up, and hence feel the need to take our own action, but they seem to think we'll rely on them. Are they naive, or simply trotting out the right words?

spindrift

And the comment from the police about going to them in the first instance. Does anyone think the police know how little faith some of us have in them (and the courts) to actually do anything? So many of us complain that they won't or don't follow things up, and hence feel the need to take our own action, but they seem to think we'll rely on them. Are they naive, or simply trotting out the right words?

Those quotes from the cops are hollow, laughable face-saving exercises.

Cyclists report bad driving and nothing happens. A cyclist in cambridge was assaulted by a driver, in front of witnesses, and no action was taken. How dare the police say that?

Magna

Just back from an extended Easter Break, wow :biggrin::sad: things have move on a bit haven't they.

I spotted the article in the paper yesterday (my parents buy the Sun and I was staying with them - honest)

Thought you came over very well on the STV clip pretty balanced and not "pompous" as I described you in another thread. :sad::blush: Mucho respect sir, you are a courageous man.

Hopefully now this is now in the public domain, drivers will take a bit more care when passing cyclists. I won't hold my breath though.

The police comment is interesting, hopefully Strathclyde Police will be a little more sympathetic towards us.

One point though, I would just like to echo "tetedelacourse", I worry about you. It just concerns me slightly that some nutter (and lets face it there are a fair few in Glasgow) makes it his personal goal to take you out.

Be careful out there mate ;)

wafflycat

Arch said:

I know, that was quite laughable. Many of us know, from personal experience, that the police are often very reluctant to do anything at all.

domtyler

Über Member
wafflycat said:
I know, that was quite laughable. Many of us know, from personal experience, that the police are often very reluctant to do anything at all.

On the other hand, it does drive home the importance of reporting these incidents, at least then we will have more justification to make a noise about it than if no one bothers to.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rab said:
One point though, I would just like to echo "tetedelacourse", I worry about you. It just concerns me slightly that some nutter (and lets face it there are a fair few in Glasgow) makes it his personal goal to take you out.

Be careful out there mate :biggrin:

I would agree. Probably worth wearing a different jacket and tweaking your route sllightly for the next few weeks until the dust settles.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
On the other hand, it does drive home the importance of reporting these incidents, at least then we will have more justification to make a noise about it than if no one bothers to.

That's true, but it gets dispiriting to be reporting stuff and nothing happens, and I think the natural reaction is eventually to give up. But I'm really interested to know if the police really think we think it's worth reporting stuff, in which case they must be living in cloud cuckoo land. To be honest, I don't know how the police would cope with following up reports of every transgression, but do they really think they could manage it?

Top Bottom