Tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

gambatte said:
I believe in Kent we had some reports of cyclists being pushed from the road into ditches, by car passengers. Think they resulted in a paralysis and maybe a death?

That actually happened to a friend of mine. A cyclist who also happens to be a motorist, a dad, a husband. He was pushed off his bicycle into a deep ditch by a passenger of an overtaking car. My friend ended up with two badly damaged vertebrae in his neck and was exceedingly lucky not to have been killed or made a quadraplegic. All, as far as we can tell, as the result of someone thinking it's a bit of fun to push a cyclist off a bike into a ditch. :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hi Guys,

Just a quicky. I'm busy at work at the moment and a bit overwhelmed by comments on my videos (they have to be approved by me now!) people sending me messages, and the comments on here.

First off thanks for all of the comments.

I certainly understand why some have concerns for me. However, to some extent I didn't have a choice about going public. I was already public because of my previous press in the Evening Times. I am sure the Sun knew who I was from the start and were playing a wee game. I knew they would expose who I was today (which apparently they have, although I haven't seen it - just the Scottish Sun I assume). So I decided to go with the STV interview as this would allow me to come across in a visible and, hopefully, reasonable manner. I think I did, and the article today in the Sun is apparently based closely on the TV interview.

It'll take a few days for all of this to settle down and by then I may have got my head around it. I am just so pleased that the publicity so far has been balanced. I can't ask for more than that.
:sad:

I will also be hearing back from the police this afternoon.....

P.S. I expect my invite will arrive shortly from big brother. I hear they are looking for celebrities....:ohmy:

medals

I've been away for a few days and it seems I've missed a lot! :ohmy:

First of all, my congratulations magnatom, on being big enough to highlight the dubious standards of driving we as cyclists have to put up with.
From the simply ignorant and ill educated, but meaning no deliberate harm. To the more sinister, deliberate bullying and in some cases actual physical harm that some motorists seem to think they can get away with.

Bad driving isn't new, there will aways be honest mistakes made and there will always be people who are just carp at driving, but got lucky on their test and there will aways be nutters.

I think the differences these days(amongst others) which makes it more dangerous for us cyclists is that there is so much more traffic on the road now,(law of averages says there'll be more bad drivers) cars are bigger and wider, but the roads haven't changed and compared to 25 odd years ago, society has changed in regards of a decline in respect for other people.
This is bad enough when bumped into in the supermarket, but worse when an individual in charge of a ton of moving metal feels it's ok to use it to intimidate a vulnerable road user. That's why I find it very hard to keep my temper when subjected to such behaviour which could put me in hospital.
I'm ashamed to say I don't always succeed. But I think it's very important to acknowledge good driving when I see it, as well as have a go at prats behind the wheel.

I'm afraid it highlights just how far we have to go to heal this society in which we live.

Cab

I'm pleasantly surprised by how positive media coverage has been.

How are the assorted Magnatom hater sites getting over that?

snorri

Legendary Member
The BBC has just trailed an item on "how dangerous it is to cycle in one of our cities" to be broadcast in the Newsdrive programme Radio Scotland 16.00-18.00 today.
The announcer left little doubt as to whose side she was on!:ohmy:

Edited at 1805
Woops! they must have decided not to include that item after all.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

snorri said:
The BBC has just trailed an item on "how dangerous it is to cycle in one of our cities" to be broadcast in the Newsdrive programme Radio Scotland 16.00-18.00 today.
The announcer left little doubt as to whose side she was on!:sad:

Aye there is supposed to be an item on reporting Scotland tonight. Someone we know might have a small part in it! :ohmy:

For anyone that is interested it might be worth listening to Radio Scotland on Friday morning (about 10:30am ish). Me and Fred might be having a wee chat...:sad:

QuickDraw

Most people get death threats and stalkers once they become famous but not the resourceful Magnatom he does it the other way round and uses them to become famous.;)

Another well done from me.

I missed it on the telly cos I was waiting for Reporting Scotland cos you told us to look out for you there. There's just no keeping track of your media appearances.

The coverage has been positive and has protrayed you as doing good despite the vigilante tag. Once your 15 minutes is up it won't have made any difference to the nutters but I'm hopeful that it will have made some difference with some of the unthinking drivers who aren't really malicious just ignorant. And thank you as one of the direct beneficiaries of better standards of driving in Glasgow.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Someone made the comment earlier - sorry I can't remember who. But why not try and balance up the bad behaviour with one or two video's showing the good behaviour, or try to get a possitive comment into a negative video - especially if for example it was one of the buses that gave you plenty of room. Maybe they would change their minds and want to make an appearance in a video of yours:biggrin:.

Congrats on making a stand - I'm always moaning about the bad things I see on the road and not doing anything about it. But be careful.

yenrod

Legally the big point is you calling the reg's of the cardrivers.

Not sure on that but otherwise it certainly is honest.

Some of that footage is general to us cyclists - we've all had it happen pull-outs, pedestrians, fear of death from CarDrivers.

I am behind you on this but your personal safety Mag, is paramount !!!!

Take Care !

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Aye there is supposed to be an item on reporting Scotland tonight. Someone we know might have a small part in it! :smile:

For anyone that is interested it might be worth listening to Radio Scotland on Friday morning (about 10:30am ish). Me and Fred might be having a wee chat...:ohmy:

I'd better keep my eyes and ears peeled and open then ! I also heard a rumour that Martin Scorcese and Quentin Tarantino are in the running for the film adaptation of your story ;) I heard that Gerard Butler is up for your part and Julia Roberts is slated to play Arch :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

sanoffyhighstepson

Safety

I agree that safety is an issue but heres my take on the worlds view, think of it however you want.

Some people dont give a shoot about cyclists because they're associated with running red lights. Some people dont give a shoot about car users because they're associated with speeding and killing people. Some people dont give a shoot about bus drivers because they're associated with pulling out in front of whatever comes up behind them. Some people dont give a shoot about pedestrians because they're associated with walking out on a road in front of whatever vehicle without looking. Some people dont give a shoot about the police because they're associated with,,,,erm,,,,,,,,,not giving a shoot!!!

We live in a crap world ruled by people who dont give a shoot.

Although what Magnatom is doing may seem good, it wont make a big enough impact unfortunately. Take street crime and problems with teenagers for instance. There are thousands of police officers on the streets yet crime still rises and problems with f-u-c-k-wit teenagers seem to be growing. Why?? Because they dont give a shoot!!

I think Magnatoms campaign, although impressive, is a bit like trying to weld a new metal panel onto a rusty old car. The damage is done.Its went too far before someone like him came along.

Perfect example, I am not that old, but when I was young I had a football glued to my feet at the age of 10. Today, most youngsters are robbing people, breaking bus windows, calling people all sorts of names and generally running amok. No respect!! I would have got leatherd for what they do.

Its true what another user said today. Try injecting humour into the vids and showing good as well as bad. Balance it like he balanced the telly interview.

Okay, so my vids on Youtube have a few swear words in them. But I tried my best not to point out any individuals whilst getting a point across about problems and showing the world what its like to be a bus driver. Had bloody good fun makin it too with ma keyboard.

So far, touch wood, I aint had any problems and all my comments have said the stuff is true and that they are funny.

Christ, to try and bridge the ever increasing gap between cyclist and everyone else, am tempted to do a song about that gap. Any ideas, let me know!!!

Can only wish Magnatom and his family all the best and hope there is no problems after the sh-it hes already taken.

Good post sohss (that there username is way too long) but if I may say so, slightly defeatist. What makes you think you can't make a difference?

We all can, most of us (I include myself), do not have the balls to do what Magnatom is doing but his example shows how one thing snowballs into another and there's more than one way to skin a cat achieve something, even if you only support someone else, even if it's just a gesture of thanks to another road user, it all helps.

Top Bottom