Too many carbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

Although I do a lot of exercise, and am aware that I need plenty of carbs, I think im getting too many. My diet consists off loads of pasta, bread, cereal etc.

I'm at my ideal weight, but want to tone up. Even though I do plenty of weight exercises, including crunches etc, I still feel a bit loose. I've just been reading about carb intake, and i've come to the conclusion im holding to much water because of this. Would you agree?

My plan is to reduce carb intake (sensibly), and substitute carbs for more veg etc. I don't eat meat (only fish), but get enough protein from eggs, cheese, milk, nuts etc, as well as my protein shakes.

Please feel free to give any other ideas. Cheers :thumbsup:

jimboalee

ShinSplint said:
Although I do a lot of exercise, and am aware that I need plenty of carbs, I think im getting too many. My diet consists off loads of pasta, bread, cereal etc.

I'm at my ideal weight, but want to tone up. Even though I do plenty of weight exercises, including crunches etc, I still feel a bit loose. I've just been reading about carb intake, and i've come to the conclusion im holding to much water because of this. Would you agree?

My plan is to reduce carb intake (sensibly), and substitute carbs for more veg etc. I don't eat meat (only fish), but get enough protein from eggs, cheese, milk, nuts etc, as well as my protein shakes.

Please feel free to give any other ideas. Cheers :thumbsup:

Veg ARE carbs.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

yeh, but im thinking its the starchy stuff I should be reducing.

Any ideas for non-carb foods then Jimbot?

jimboalee

ShinSplint said:
yeh, but im thinking its the starchy stuff I should be reducing.

Any ideas for non-carb foods then Jimbot?

What you really mean is 'grass fluff'.

Non-carb foods eh,,,,, Anything that walked around ( or was destined to walk around - eggs ). Or swam......

But be careful, if it could have talked back to you, you shouldn't eat it.
Or if it would have eaten you first, you shouldn't eat it.

Stu99

Über Member
i think carb control is important in maintaining an even energy flow and refined carohydrates are to be avoided. i have almost eliminated bread from my diet and replaced it with ryvita and rice cakes. i also eat more brown rice etc plus plenty of fruits and salads. never felt healthier.

yenrod

Stu99 said:
i think carb control is important in maintaining an even energy flow and refined carohydrates are to be avoided. i have almost eliminated bread from my diet and replaced it with ryvita and rice cakes. i also eat more brown rice etc plus plenty of fruits and salads. never felt healthier.

An example to us all Stu' !

mattyashy

When you take in excess carbs, the sugars which are not used are eventually converted into fat. So if you eat too many refined carbs such as white breads, white pasta etc. you have a spike in blood glucose levels due to the quick absorption of the sugars.

You could carb-cycle, whereby you eat low carbs for 6 days a week, and then one day of high carbs (as the body then utilises these carbs efficiently due to the 'starvation of carbs'). In this method you should eat high protein and lots of veg, to keep energy levels high.

But you should be careful, as your brain is an energy hungry organ, and low carb intake can have a direct impact on your brain function.

You could also say, eat complex carbs in the morning (wholemeal breads/pastas with seeds/rye bread) and as the day goes on decrease the amount of carbs in your meals. Try to have protein with every meal to slow down that carb absorption, and to keep a more constant energy flow.

Also, if you feel a bit 'loose' as you put it, why not try some tabata or HIIT? The recovery period after such high intensity exercise means that your body will utilise fat stores to aid recovery.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi shinsplint

Try having a variety of foods in your diet and aim for more complex carbs rather than a standard reduction of carbs- if your cycling/exercise workload is high you'll need the carbs anyway.

It might be the intensity that you're cycling working out at is at issue -if you're working at higher than 65% intensity in terms of your heart rate you may not be burning excess fat- so your body doesn't sucessfully utilise the fat stores and exercising at a higher rate exercises your cardio vascular system ie lungs and heart and not building the body to get better at using fat as a energy source.

Make sure you eat protein and a bit of carbs soon (within 20 mins is best) after cycling/exercise as your body will appreciate it for recovery.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll explain some more!

jimboalee

Trivia.

1/ Frugivore. Fruit eater.

2/ Folivore. Leaf eater.

3/ Granivore. Seed eater.

4/ Carnivore. Meat eater.

Human being ( Homo Sapiens [HSA] ) is 1/, 2/ and 4/.

On the odd occassion where starvation looms, he may eat seeds. Otherwise a balanced diet of leaves, fruit and meat is recommended.

Garz

Squat Member
Sounds like water retention and to be stricter on the diet. Coffee and cranberry juice are good diuretics you could substitute this instead of just drinking water. Try and only carb up a few hours before riding, you dont want to totally cut out carbs as you need some energy otherwise you will just feel sleepy/tired.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Personally I would have you write a food diary and if your carbohydrate intake was far in excess of 60% of your diet to the detriment of fats and protein, then yes I would advise a correction.
Otherwise, if you want to function in your training, leave well alone.

Top Bottom