Tour Down Under (SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As opposed to some of the climbs in the Tour, the Giro and Vuelta..............??

Of course the strongest rider is the one who reaches the top first. It makes a massive difference to the entire peloton the length, gradient and number of climbs in a race.

In pro cycling terms, that was a piece of ****.
It does not get easier, they just get faster.

tigger

Über Member
Thomas eh?! Currently smug with my Tour of Flanders prediction. :becool: But no doubt will be left with egg on my face

montage

God Almighty
Thomas eh?! Currently smug with my Tour of Flanders prediction. :becool: But no doubt will be left with egg on my face

He did a lot of the donkey work to catch cancellara a couple of years ago and has won the junior version - I'd say place your bets now before the odds go up!

tigger

Über Member
He did a lot of the donkey work to catch cancellara a couple of years ago and has won the junior version - I'd say place your bets now before the odds go up!

He did indeed. IIRC he was riding for Flecha who had nothing left at the end? Hmm, google search for a bookie taking bets for this has drawn a blank... any ideas?!

montage

God Almighty
Haha, hardly relevant. Is this the bit where you tell me you would kick my ass up some hills??

To answer your question. Yes. I won't bite any further.

No, just that you should know that a 4 minute hill can be just as painful as a 15 minute one - a cruel lesson taught by hill climbs, so pretty relevant. Sorry that you took my post as aggressive. Any hill is a significant hill when racing

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Any hill that is tough enough to split the field into winners and losers is enough. Look at the Cauberg for instance.

No, just that you should know that a 4 minute hill can be just as painful as a 15 minute one - a cruel lesson taught by hill climbs, so pretty relevant. Sorry that you took my post as aggressive. Any hill is a significant hill when racing
Lets just say in terms of TSS then, the climb wasn't quite like Alpe D'Huez and that not all climbs are equal in terms of difficulty. :thumbsup:
The short climb suited GT as his expertise is in extremely high power over shorter distance. He would not be holding Rodriguez or Contadors wheel up Alto el Angliru, IMO.

tigger

Über Member
I think I get what you're saying Pedro. It's more of a puncheurs hill than a climbers mountain? So if you're first to the top it doesn't mean you'll be romping away in the Alps.

tigger

Über Member
Just watched the highlights, that's a proper hill! Great ride by Thomas. The new Sky kit has grown on me too although I miss the white back to help pick them out from the aerial shots.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just watched the highlights, that's a proper hill! Great ride by Thomas. The new Sky kit has grown on me too although I miss the white back to help pick them out from the aerial shots.
I liked L'Equipe's classification: la méchante bosse, which comes out as something like ''wicked bump.''

Oh, and well done Geraint!

Top Bottom