Tour of Britain 4-11 September 2016 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You can be arrested for handing them THAT. ;)

My innocent mind couldn't work that out until I'd read it about 5 times....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I kept thinking as he repeated it....which way are they coming into town if they turn left for an uphill finish?
Just caught the highlights, and frankly that was about the worst broadcast I've ever seen/listened to.

Makes EP & the Kirby/Kelly combo sound like the height of professionalism.

It's a pity cos I'd converted to ITV4 from Eurosport for the TdF due to the quality of their commentary in that race. Only to find they have brought in another set of idiots for ToB. I ended up on the Bike Channel (also showing it live). The fact that Rob Hayles was, in comparison, the height of erudition says everything about ITV4's monkey team

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
...ITV4's monkey team
As I understand it, they're probably race organiser Sweetspot's monkey team, and/or Century TV's. Cycling is currently in a funny place where races get coverage either by offering ITV a broadcast-ready show with probably relatively little money changing hands in either direction, and/or by hitching their races to ASO's wagon and probably offering ITV discounts or perks on the TdF if they show it too. This is all murkiness pieced together from years of small incomplete comments, so I could be wrong.

But anyway, ITV almost certainly have first dibs on Ned, plus three weeks work is better than one, so he's commentating on Vuelta highlights rather than live ToB. Simon Brotherton is probably similarly BBC. Anyone know where other better commentators are?They probably can't afford P&P either. ;) What's Ant McCrossan doing? Rob Hatch?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Agreed the TV coverage was dire; twenty minutes of British tourism promotion before we even got started on the racing and then the coverage was all over the place.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At the risk of coming across as a grammar nobber, I could put up with the commentary were it not for the mangling of continuous verbs

It is "he is sitting"....it is NOT "he is sat"...sheesh. I think Rob Hayles still lives in Hayfield which is just down the road from me. If he does that again I'm going to chuck a brick through his windows

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
It's a shame that Magnus Bäckstedt isn't commentating as I think he's no-nonsense and the others would have to up their game - you wouldn't want a schlap from him. :boxing:

Buddfox

Veteran
This is a 2.HC race and should be treated with respect - it's not a farewell leaving party for a rider to gloat in the public's admiration. I hope he takes it seriously.

Wiggo taking it seriously:

http://road.cc/content/news/203723-wiggo-does-froome-and-runs-tour-britain-climb

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Agreed the TV coverage was dire; twenty minutes of British tourism promotion before we even got started on the racing and then the coverage was all over the place.
Ah, but that's how the race gets money from local tourist groups. None of your French-style helicopter shots and commentators reading from the guide touristique here - slap the host area marketing on with a trowel. It's all thanks to the unique way that cycling coverage is funded... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom