Town car for Mrs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cuberider

Über Member
It's slow and doesn't like corners. It felt ok on the test drive, bit in real life use it's been a massive let down.

There's only one actual Town Car and this one's about 5k, but parking a boat like this could be a bugger of job at Tescos...

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Linco...ash=item1ee7691311:g:OkMAAOSwSI5bZkWH&vxp=mtr

Totally daft post, but that's where my mind jumped when I read the OP title. That and my kid is wishing for something like this for her first car.

Mrs M

Guru

Salar

A fish out of water
Another thing about Fiat 500's (the Fiat dealer I bought mine off told me this when I traded mine in)

They suffer from rear underside corrosion, axle mounts,suspension mounts etc.

I bought myself an Ibiza two months ago, and I've never hated a car so much. I'm thinking of trading it in already.
My thoughts exactly when we had a Ford C-Max (''57' plated)
It was horrendous
Dare I say, but SWMBO wanted it on the basis of the colour honestly, that's 'how she sold it to me')
It was the 1.8 petrol, & it struggled, no matter how gentle you were with it, to better 30MPG
It constantly misted up, in any weather, unless a window was open, or the A/C on
It had 3 windscreens whilst we had it, (about 15 months, when it was px'd for my splendid Octavia estate), 1 was a stone, the other two seemingly cracked almost spontaneously. A fitter told us they were renown for it

I took to leaving it unlocked, with a window down, outside the house, hoping it'd have gone by morning

It's one redeeming feature was the LED tail-lights

Imagine that!, a car so bad, that the only thing to excite you about it is the lights

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Another thing about Fiat 500's (the Fiat dealer I bought mine off told me this when I traded mine in)

They suffer from rear underside corrosion, axle mounts,suspension mounts etc.
I need to get under and wax oil.

mustang1

Guru
Sorry, I should pay more attention.

Well...has she considered a Smart ForTwo? I've had mine almost 5 weeks and it's been faultless.

What happened to the Dacia?

Also, previously you mentioned Vauxhall might not be around in 3 years. Is there a crisis going on with that company?

I am kind of on the lookout for a small or medium car too hence the interest in this thread.

Ah and another thing, do these Uber-small engine cars really get good gas mileage or does the economy drop when attempting to keep up with traffic?

mustang1

Guru
To be fair city cars aren't about rear seat comfort..but ok for 2 ankle biters

I disagree. I don't want my kids to be bouncing around back there. Even a city trip can be an hour long and the Swift i sat in was pretty bad, otherwise we would have bought that: lovely looks, good space, good equipment, low price.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There's only one actual Town Car and this one's about 5k, but parking a boat like this could be a bugger of job at Tescos...

View attachment 424019

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Linco...ash=item1ee7691311:g:OkMAAOSwSI5bZkWH&vxp=mtr

Totally daft post, but that's where my mind jumped when I read the OP title. That and my kid is wishing for something like this for her first car.

I had a toy one of them as a kid - red with a white roof, so full on 70s classy, and I've fancied one ever since.

What happened to the Dacia?

Also, previously you mentioned Vauxhall might not be around in 3 years. Is there a crisis going on with that company?

I am kind of on the lookout for a small or medium car too hence the interest in this thread.

Ah and another thing, do these Uber-small engine cars really get good gas mileage or does the economy drop when attempting to keep up with traffic?

Vauxhall has been bought by Peugeot.
Who knows what their plans for them are, but lots of dealers are on notice, apparently.

In terms of mpg, the 500 twin air has been widely reported as having a huge gap between claimed and actual mpg.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/fiat/500-2007/09-twinair-85

Is this the one where you own the car but lease the battery?

You can either buy the car and batteries, or buy the car at a considerably lower price and lease the battery with the cost based on your mileage. We looked into it, but for the mileage we do the battery lease would have cost considerably more than we currently spend on fuel.

Is this the one where you own the car but lease the battery?
Think you can buy or lease it now. Believe that the batteries are actually lasting a lot longer than the initial predictions and proving more robust, the reason behind the leasing model. We looked at both Zoe's and Leaf's - difference with/without battery for a 4/5k car pretty much doubles the price.

Tin Pot

Guru
Mrs.Milzy needs a run around town car. Budget 4K but at a push 5k max.
Fiat 500’s are very well liked. Not sure on Fix It Again Tony though. However I’ve seen Mazda catastrophicly fail MOT’s after only a couple of years. It’s a minefield at this price point.

Any recommendations will be welcomed. Have a great weekend!

:smile:
Let her get what she wants and maintain it herself.

Top Bottom