Trailside puncture repairs - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't........

Firstly set up your tyres and tubes so they are aligned with the valve this means that you can easily pinpoint the area of interest and check for the cause
Then fit a fresh inner tube.
The punctured one can then be repaired at leisure during a café stop or similar

Do bar in mind though that you will sooner or later encounter the ride where the number of punctures exceeds the number of spare tubes.

Sixmile

Veteran
Make sure your water bottle top is closed before turning your bike upside down.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well, looks like I'm doing it right judging from all the comments, though I did enjoy the one about making sure your water bottle's done up before turning the bike upside down! Think I'm going to add a bit of tissue or cotton wool to my puncture repair kit to try and find any sharps left in the tyre since that's one of the main things I struggle with (that and an inability to trust the repair job for the rest of the ride).

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Good "point" :smile: I've got a little bradawl which I use at home for the purpose but never thought to take it out on a ride with me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Lots of good advice on this thread. My first thought is to try to locate the puncture, so's with luck to be able to fix it without removing the wheel or tyre. Probably only works a third of the time, but if you're lucky, by turning the wheel slowly while closely looking at the tyre, you'll suddenly spot the thorn, shard or whatever, then all you need to do is pop off a few inches of one side of the tyre, haul the relevant section of tube thru' the gap, and fix it with most of the tube and tyre still in place. No obvious thorn/shard? Pump up as much as you can, turn the wheel slowly with your ear as close as you can, and listen for the hiss. Less precise, but often enough to let you pop off the right section of tyre. After that, same as before.

Like I say, it often doesn't work...but quite often it does, and it can save a lot of time & hassle.

Tim Hall

Good "point" :smile: I've got a little bradawl which I use at home for the purpose but never thought to take it out on a ride with me.
I pack a penknife (one of the smaller Opinels) for this purpose when I remember. Others report success with a darning needle, but your bradawl sounds a good idea too.

davidphilips

Veteran
What do you guys carry as a tyre boot?

Only thing i have used is a section of the old punctured tube chances are if the tyre is damaged then the old tube is in need of replacement anyway.

Just means having some fun cutting a patch from the old tube without a knife or pair of sissors.

Top Bottom