Training for some light touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tour preparation is mostly conditioning yourself to spend hours in the saddle.
Start with a bike that fits and is suitably adjusted for you.
Start easy and ride by time rather than distance or speed.
Any saddle time is good, even riding errands and shopping. Commuting is the best training tool.
Get a bike equipped to handle winter riding. I would suggest a CX/gravel style touring bike with clearance for wide tyres + mudguards, frame eyelets for rack and mudguards.

Choice of saddle is personal but harder is better than softer.
No need to start out with fancy gear such as clip in pedal systems or computers, you need water, repair kit. You may need some kind of luggage bag, lights, lock. Cycling shorts will be useful ( worn without underwear so was after use).
Find some local circuits of different lengths and directions so you always ride out into the wind.

Last edited:
Normally, when out on tour (long/ish) you would ride yourself into a decent level of fitness. This won't happen on a shorter tour, although there's no reason why you can't enjoy it as much.

That means that you'll need to have the required level of fitness before you head off. As and when you get your bike, build up the distances gradually by going out 2-3 times a week for about 20-40 km at a time, until you feel fit enough to try going further and for longer, and then it's just a question of riding regularly.

Your muscles will look after themselves, but your sit bones are more fussy and a good saddle (not necessarily an expensive one, just one you find comfortable) is essential for a fun and successful tour.

Remember it's a tour, and not a race, so keep your eyes and ears open and enjoy the sights and sounds of life on the road.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sharky

Guru
Just get a bike and ride it. Between now and next spring, establish a baseline routine that you can repeat regularly. Doesn't matter how far, even 5 to 10 miles every weekend will establish a pattern. Get through the bad winter weather and when it starts to get a bit warmer, just very gradually increase the volume and frequency. But never to the point where it ceases to be enjoyable.

I've never trained to tour, the whole point is you can do what you feel like doing, long day, short day, day off etc.... Of course if you have a particular aim and a schedule to keep to then you may need to tailor your general riding to suit that but I would say that that only applies if you're doing more than say 40 or 50 miles a day, which is quite manageable just on general fitness done at a slower pace with more stops, you'll only know though when you try it yourself.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've recently started short tours and was lucky to be given the following advice:

Don't try anything new on a tour - use tried and tested saddle, clothing and grips, for example, as well as sticking to distances you have comfortably done before.

Eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty and rest before you are tired.

Worked for me!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Judging by your original post you dont need to do any training. Especially if you are not carrying any gear.

Look at it simply. If you want to ride 100km in a day. You can do it in 5 hours without any hassle on most bikes. I can do it on a Brompton and Im 61. Add in 3 hours for breaks, long lunch etc. Thats an 8 hour day. You have all evening and night for any recovery But at your current level of fitness, 100km is an easy day.

What you need to decide is what bike to use and how to store the few bits you carry. On my road bike I have a bar bag and seat pack and its plenty enough.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
To my mind the figures you've given of 30/35kmh for 10/20km are fine but this is on a watt bike in a gym. It's not a good guide for touring. Your gym work is 20/40 minutes. Touring usually means 5-6 hours in the saddle, some form of luggage even when using hotels etc. Add to this breaks, sightseeing etc of perhaps 3-4 hours. Don't rely in any fashion on gym results.

Touring means you'll be on the road with many variables to take in to account. The target is being able to ride 80/90k comfortably and being able to do so again the next day.

My advice would be simply to get a bike, build up to being able to ride 80/90k with an average of 21/22kmh. When touring your average will drop to 17/18kmh. Once you can ride this distance comfortably do it two days in a row - that will tell you if you're ready or not.

Kit? The essentials you need initially are a good comfortable bike, quality shorts (I prefer bib shorts) and a GPS unit to take the hassle out of navigation. Obviously wet weather gear and other cycle clothing will be required. You can tour on any bike within reason just be sure it fits you and is comfortable.

Touring is great fun, I'm sure you will love it and achieve your target. Simply train by riding your bike. Be sure to keep it up through the winter and you'll emerge fighting fit and ready to go.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I should have said that lots of tourists just buy a bike and go. The daily ride they do is all the training they need. But obviously this happens better on rides across a continent or RTW.

I guess I was just saying that IF you have time to do some cycling beforehand, training isn’t a bad thing. Nothing will beat a few weekends away. Amazing how that will hone your kit list down and speed up your set up and take down every night.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

I should have said that lots of tourists just buy a bike and go. The daily ride they do is all the training they need. But obviously this happens better on rides across a continent or RTW.

I guess I was just saying that IF you have time to do some cycling beforehand, training isn’t a bad thing. Nothing will beat a few weekends away. Amazing how that will hone your kit list down and speed up your set up and take down every night.

Oh yes, I already know I'll be travelling super light. Just a handlebar bag with the bare essentials. I will be eating out and sleeping in bnb's so for 3 days all I think I'm going to need to pack is:
- 2 pairs of socks
- 2 pairs of bike shorts
- 2/3 tshirts
- waterproof/windproof jacket
- puncture repair kit with a couple of spare inner tubes
- I don't know.....plasters? :/

Actually, what would you add to the list? :smile:

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Are you following a diet and cutting down on the big meatballs :smile:?

Probably will be losing weight as I mean to keep doing weightlifting 2-3 times a week and will also start triathlon training so I guess I'll be shedding some weight. I'm now 105kg but I don't see myself ever going below 95kg because the missus likes me chuncky :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Pump
Toiletries
Handlebar bag seems ambitious especially if you're a big guy with big clothes. That said, you should only need one spare pair of shorts, wash in evening, be dry quickly, same for cycling jerseys
I'd get a light rack and a pannier

Cycle to get fit for cycling, not weightlifting

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Pump
Toiletries
Handlebar bag seems ambitious especially if you're a big guy with big clothes. That said, you should only need one spare pair of shorts, wash in evening, be dry quickly, same for cycling jerseys
I'd get a light rack and a pannier

Cycle to get fit for cycling, not weightlifting

Thanks!

Yes, I'll cycle for cycling, in addition to the weightlifting (my main hobby and passion....can't give up on that)

Top Bottom