Training for some light touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'll be doing it in Scotland so I will have to be prepared for the worst :laugh:
Yes :laugh:
Ime (I have done 4 Scottish tours, no training apart from the commute and the odd social ride), take a little chain oil and a cloth, in case it's downpour after downpour.
Protect you top body with a decent waterproof jacket (I the like Altura Night Vision range), some waterproof head covering, I have got a lycra waterrepellent buff for the neck.
Let your legs get wet, take shorts but also a pair of longs in case the temperature drops.
Waterproof socks so it doesn't matter if your shoes get wet.
I take a pair of plastic sandals for the evening, and a pair of normal socks.

- not all the roads I will take when practicing and on touring are going to be paved
Marathon (Greenguard, Plus or Mondial) tyres.

Actually, what would you add to the list? :smile:
A multitool, a mini pump that works (practice at home), a roll of electrical tape, some cable ties.
Disposable gloves.
Chain tool and spare link, learn how to use them from You Tube.
Have good low gears on your bike ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The most important thing I think is to actually get out cycling in any weather. That way you find any saddle problems well in advance and if raining weak points in your rainwear. I have never used electronic navigation but always paper maps. For footwear I have a pair of hard sole trainers which I think is easiest tho’ in warm weather I have used bare feet and sandals if it is wet. The rest of the gear has already been suggested by various people so no need to repeat any of it.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Thank you all for all the precious advice.

I think I've got a fairly clear idea of how I'm going to proceed and tackle this challenge, I know what advice I should follow and what I can disregard.

I'll get my bike asap and see how I get on the road. I'll probably be back with more questions when this starts.

In the meantime, thanks :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Alright, first outdoor ride done and dusted.

Just a nice and easy one, 25km in a bit more than 1 hour on flat terrain. Fortunately there was barely any wind.

Too soon to start drawing any conclusions but my first impressions so far:
- riding outside is much easier and definitely way less dull than riding on the watt bike
- my boardman adv flies like a rocket despite having chunky 38mm tires (can only imagine what's gonna happen if and when I upgrade to thinner tires)
- I prefer riding on the roads rather than on cycle paths. I've found cars to be way more respectful than all the twats walking on cycle paths with their dogs or children not on a leash

I'm aiming to increase my riding distance by 5-10km every week, so should be able to cycle for 100km before I even know it.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have 38mm G Ones and they roll very well indeed. I have in the past done 100 miles @ 18 mph with those tyres

I found for back to back riding, if i trained solely in zone 2 HR and power and built up the duration upto 3.5 hours on the turbo, it really built fantastic cardio conditioning. I used a high cadence of around 95 rpm and never stopped pedalling for the whole sessions. I used Trainer Road for a 12 week endurance program. I will be doing it again this winter to regain fitness

Top Bottom