Training for some light touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Hello guys, as per title, I've had the mad idea of getting into cycling with the aim of doing some light touring next year.

I hope you guys can help me tackle this challenge and give me some good advice on the training aspect.

So, my current situation in short:
- haven't been on a bike for over a decade
- I am heavy (just over 100kg) but I'm not a couch potato; I've been doing weightlifting for a few years. Power is not an issue, it's the stamina/endurance part that worries me
- I don't have a bike yet but I'm in the process of buying one. Will definitely have one by end of next month
- I've been cycling on the wattbike at my gym once a week for the last 2 months, covering distances from 10 to 20km and keeping what I consider to be an okay pace (30-35 km/h speed and always above 150 avg watts)

My goal is to do some touring next spring probably around May/June, covering 90-100km a day for 3-4 days. I plan to travel very light (stay in airbnb's and eat out) and I'll never say no to a cake&coffee stop along the way.

How would you suggest I tackle this challenge when I have a real bike? Should I work up to the daily distance I want to cover (say 100km) or should I even do more to make sure I'm not going to be exhausted after day 1 of my touring adventure? I will probably be able to cycle only once a week still.

Also, what equipment do you suggest I get for the training and what are the aspects I should pay attention to? I'm thinking things such as fitness watch/power meter/bike gps....

Please feel free to share your experiences and suggestions.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Initially I wouldn’t be buying any gadgets, download the free Strava App to your phone, this would record your route, mileage, average speed etc. It’s good to keep a track of your progress, for me it was quite a motivator too.

Try and ride more, surely you can get out more than once a week, even if it’s just for a short 20-30 mins after work, you may need lights as the days shorten.

Spend a bit more time on the Gym bike until you are up and running with a road bike.

Build up your road mileage slowly, it may be tough to start with, don’t over do things.

Try and find a short cycle loop from home and keep doing these loops, you may only ride one or two to start with but build up, three, maybe four and because you are never far from home you can bail out whenever you feel you’re struggling. Several years ago my original loop was 3 miles, I was soon riding ten loops, a bit boring I know but it’s a sensible way to start.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cycling fitness is not like gym fitness, you'll be using different muscles. Are you following a diet and cutting down on the big meatballs :smile:? If you are overweight you might find a long day in the saddle difficult. I'd say 90/100k a day is ambitious. On the subject of saddles get one that suits your sit bones and that you're comfortable on. Get some padded shorts.
The only way to train and find out what you're capable of is to use a bike. Once a week is okay but more is better, start small and build it gradually. It'll be tough at first but be assured it will get easier.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A short tour of the type you describe doesn't need any special fitness and no training gizmos whatsoever.

The more time on the actual bike you'll be riding the better, ideally up to and a little beyond daily distances.

If the tour is flattish, 100km/day isn't all that much, perhaps just 5 hours or less in the saddle, which gives plenty of time for breaks/sightseeing etc.

If you're planning on a very hilly route (Peak District, Wales etc) then ensure you do as many hills as possible beforehand.

So, get out on your bike and ride is the only advice I'd offer.

Hello guys, as per title, I've had the mad idea of getting into cycling with the aim of doing some light touring next year.

First comment - great decision! Cycling is a great way to get fit. Touring can be a great way to switch off and relax.

Based on what you say, covering 90-100 km per day, travelling very light is actually not that difficult, even with a low level of stamina - unless of course you're planning on tackling the Alps!
100 km at an average speed of 15kph is about 6,5 hours cycling;
9-12
Long Lunch
2-6 and that's your distance done.

The hardest part of all that will be making sure your ass doesn't suffer too much!

Personally, I'm not an advocate of "training" for a tour. I prefer to "practise". Pack my bike the way I would on tour, pick an overnight destination the way I would on tour, wear what I'd wear on tour and cycle like I'd hope to cycle on tour. I'd navigate using whatever I would navigate with on tour. I'd spend what my budget is while on tour.
Then I'd look to see what I can improve. Are my distances too long or too short? Do I need more breaks or less? Are my routes pleasant or full of traffic? Is my clothing adequate and comfortable and practical? Is my bike set up correctly?

Then when I set out on tour, I'm reasonably confident that I know what I'm doing so that when a curveball comes I'm ready to deal with it.

For me touring is all about smelling the roses. Paying attention to my surroundings. Life becomes incredibly simple. Find water. Find food. Find a place to sleep. It's wonderfully liberating and great for getting priorities right.
It's about taking time to experience the places you are and the people you meet.

But everybody has their own style.

If possible consider commuting to work. It'll do wonders for your fitness, familiarity with your new bike, confidence on the bike, basic adjustments and repairs and dealing with all that Mother Nature wants to throw at you.

Also, what equipment do you suggest I get for the training and what are the aspects I should pay attention to? I'm thinking things such as fitness watch/power meter/bike gps....
Personally, I don't think you need anything for training. You may well want something for touring. I live in Holland and after years of touring I finally plumped for a gps device - makes life so much simpler. But it's not necessary.
A simple bike computer will tell you your speed and how far you've gone.

But maybe you want to cover long distances as quickly as you can. Then someone else will be along to advise. :smile:

If I was ever to think about power/wattage etc while on tour, I'd be miserable.
Conventional wisdom says something like you can cycle in a day what you usually cycle in a week, or something like that.

I'd say cycle the bike when you can for as long as you're comfortable. You'll soon know what 20, 50, 80 km feels like.

Good Luck!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've only done one minor and small tour so take my advise with a pinch of salt, but I'd agree with everything HobbesOnTour said.
I'd also agree with Cyclops about that mileage. 100km is a fair old haul for touring. With a strong tailwind and on a nice sunny day at 70degrees on flat roads it'd be great. But, if doing that distance into pissing rain with a headwind on hilly terrain, unless you're a roadie or a sadist it'll be hell.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

I've only done one minor and small tour so take my advise with a pinch of salt, but I'd agree with everything HobbesOnTour said.
I'd also agree with Cyclops about that mileage. 100km is a fair old haul for touring. With a strong tailwind and on a nice sunny day at 70degrees on flat roads it'd be great. But, if doing that distance into pissing rain with a headwind on hilly terrain, unless you're a roadie or a sadist it'll be hell.

I'll be doing it in Scotland so I will have to be prepared for the worst :laugh:

Easiest way to practice is to ride

Once you have your new bike and panniers(if you are getting some) is to use it to do the shopping, the bike will handle in a similar way as loaded For touring although how much gear you will need for B and B and the like is open to suggestion.

Other than that, try riding day after day for your projected tour length to see if you can stay comfy over that period

Just out of interest, what bike are you looking at?

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Just out of interest, what bike are you looking at?

I'm looking at an adventure road bike for multiple reasons:
- relaxed geometry (compared to a more racey road bike) for comfort
- bigger tires also for comfort
- not all the roads I will take when practicing and on touring are going to be paved
- easier to mount stuff like mudguards, multiple water bottles,...
- adventure road bikes are suitable for different uses

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Touring is also back to back, day in day out. You need to train for that. Waking up with the DOMS* and having 100km to do that day needs to be neurologically programmed into your body. It will come with time as will an aerobic base but it won’t happen over night.

*Delayed onset of muscle soreness/stress.

Thanks. Yes, doms are probably my main concern. It's "easy" to do a long distance, suck it up and push through the fatigue knowing that at the end of the day you'll be done and dusted. Not so easy when you have to do it all again the next day :/

Top Bottom