Trans Pennines Trail discovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Where's that?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :unsure:
Picnic on the beach, and a paddle :laugh:

400bhp

Guru
:laugh:

Coincidentally I am off to Liverpool on fri and just planning a route on the road bike. Is it passable by road bike? Looks like it.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

It's not a red route or anything, but I wouldn't have wanted to take a road bike on it. Somewhat muddy and puddly, and some other bits are stony.

The bridge in pic 1 is the Runcorn-Widnes bridge. Pic 2 is near Pickering Meadow and Pic 3 was just west of Fiddlers Ferry power station!

MTB vs Hybrid/Tourer/CX vs Roadie

I'd say the MTB will be most comfortable for the trail, but may not be as suitable if you want to do a luggage laden tour rather than a day ride on part of it. A Hybrid/Tourer/CX is more than capable as long as you upgrade the tyres to say 32s or higher. There are a few short sections around the Warrington/South Manchester area that can be muddy and when I did it on my 32c my biggest issue was mud getting jammed up inside the 'guards. Increasing the clearence would solve that.

A roadie just would be uncomfortable, sections of the trail are tarmacked but its old, cracked and inconsistant.

The only section I had to walk it was up the pennines themselves - the trail above the woodhead tunnels is steep and rocky, a fitter person could perhaps stubborn themselves up but I felt it was better to push it up that mile or so.:whistle:

The sand issue from the gravelly surfaces they like to use meant my entire drive was coated in crap at the end of day 1, next time I'd be taking a rag and lube to do a clean on it.

Top Bottom