Travel In the Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Personal view about travel in the aftermath of C19.
I will not fly anywhere in future. I don't like the crowds at airports, and I am a bit claustrophobic so I don't enjoy all being crammed together on a plane. So, for me, even short hop flights will not be an option.
I would consider travelling to Europe or maybe Ireland by ferry or tunnel, (not by tunnel to Ireland!) using my own car, but I do worry about the possibility of getting "stuck" somewhere if a second or third wave lockdown were to occur. So, for the foreseeable future I do not expect to make any trips overseas, but never say never.

My daughter is an avid traveller, and her holiday and long weekend plans are in disarray. She agrees that she would not like to fly in close confinement with lots of others at the moment, and appears to accept that in the long run flights will become dearer and probably less plentiful, so her number of trips abroad will be reduced. Then there is the possibility of having to go into quarantine on arrival abroad, or maybe upon her return to UK. Either renders a normal holiday impossible.
But the thing that worries her the most is not being able to get travel insurance, or at least not being able to get comprehensive cover for less than the cost of years holiday. Having had a couple of trips to hospital after accidents on foreign holidays, she would never go abroad without good cover, but that could prove to be the real stumbling block...

gbb

Legendary Member
Personally, as someone who eagerly takes annual holiday abroad, i'm not sure I'd want to fly again until perhaps theres a vaccine at the very least and / or the virus has gone altogether...and that's seems a great shame if I'm honest.
Up thread, a few contributors have mentioned they dont enjoy the airports, the travel etc etc...we love it, almost every element of a holiday abroad, right from the moment you leave the house, it's as stressful as you either make it, or allow it to be. We have no problem with the boredom of sitting waiting in airports, theres always something or someone to watch and talk about.
We holidayed extensively in this country when we had to and I always found you just didnt relax in the same way. You drive, you deal with traffic, you go into towns that look more or less like any other town in the UK, I always notice the difference between British folk holidaying abroad and at home, it's different, people relax more abroad.

I also agree, mentioned up thread, 1 holiday abroad annually is a reasonable limit peop,e should set themselves..bearing in in 2007 I flew distances that would take me almost twice round the planet...partly work, partly personal with my wife, I dread to think what my carbon footprint was like then. Looking in the skies now and seeing no aircraft trails is kinda satisfying, knowing the world is a healthier place without them
For us/me, a holiday abroad is sooo enlightening, relaxing, sometimes challenges and uncertainties that occur in a good way, different in so many ways to a holiday at home, it's a joy I will miss....for a year or two at least.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I feel fortunate in that I did a lot of traveling in my youth, having lived abroad from the age of 5 to 16, then joining the Merchant Navy. Saw most of the world, and the parts I didn't see don't particularly appeal these days anyway. In recent years I've been quite happy to travel down to Portsmouth (a near 500 miles in a day pilgrimage from here!) then take my touring bike over to France and disappear for a week or two chasing the sun. I enjoy the change of culture, change of architecture, different language etc.. As @gbb posted above, unless you leave UK shores then most towns have a similarity about them and a somewhat boring familiarity. Every High Street has the same shops and commercial premises re-arranged in a different order. I share the view that the holiday abroad began at the airport. I loved the atmosphere and the chilled atmosphere once you were in the departure lounge (with the exception of London Gatwick; what is it with that place!), and I also loved flying. Something magical about arriving at a foreign airport too (with the exception of ANY airport in the USA and the unwelcoming, humourless staff).

I'm not sure how I will adapt to spending holidays in the UK, but in the grand scheme of things it's no big problem. I have a motorbike, a car, and some bicycles. I'm sure I'll manage to find some interesting parts of the UK that I can go and spend a few days in, exploring beyond those boring High Streets. I just hope the popular places don't become overrun with fellow Brits on holiday, and that prices don't go through the roof making them unaffordable. Time will tell. Interesting times ahead :smile:.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Why is it only air travel that's a viable means of getting abroad? Why only checks at airports? Should not all ports be subject to the same rules. How many on a single ferry sailing compared to a single airliner?
I did mention in OP that all points of entry should be monitored, and if the two week quarantine should apply to all , I doubt it will happen though , business will want their goods etc , so drivers will just roll through regardless , but there is a way around that both sides of the Contintnent would benifit ,

classic33

Leg End Member
I did mention in OP that all points of entry should be monitored, and if the two week quarantine should apply to all , I doubt it will happen though , business will want their goods etc , so drivers will just roll through regardless , but there is a way around that both sides of the Contintnent would benifit ,
Air travel became the only method of travel being mentioned.

The actual journey, there and back, may well have to be factored into future holidays, as it once was.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Until a couple weeks before lockdown I flew several times a week for business. Me and my 2 colleagues are now grounded and whilst we’re being paid and given project work to do we are wondering what will become of us. The factories we support have been closed but will start-up in June. It certainly won’t be business as usual.
I can’t remember flying so little for about 25 years.
Strangely I miss it....

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I’ve been thinking for a while, that air travel is becoming more hassle than it’s worth and I think the aftermath of this may tip the balance, for me.

I’ve been wanting to visit France more, for a while and do some cycling over there, so I think some trips over the water, or through the tunnel (never done that yet) might be in order

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve been thinking for a while, that air travel is becoming more hassle than it’s worth and I think the aftermath of this may tip the balance, for me.

I’ve been wanting to visit France more, for a while and do some cycling over there, so I think some trips over the water, or through the tunnel (never done that yet) might be in order
I enjoy the excitement of a ferry, it’s so much more fun that the tunnel, but much slower.
Eurotunnel is very good for social isolating because you never leave your car.
Eurostar is just like any other intercity rail service.

gavgav

Guru
I enjoy the excitement of a ferry, it’s so much more fun that the tunnel, but much slower.
Eurotunnel is very good for social isolating because you never leave your car.
Eurostar is just like any other intercity rail service.
Yes, I’ve enjoyed most of the ferry trips I’ve done. The exception was the catamaran, from Portsmouth. That motion didn’t agree with me, especially when a kid, sat near us, threw up! I had to head to the smoking area for the only bit of “fresh” air available xx(

Top Bottom