TREK Domane SLR7 2021 frame crack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Kruiser

Regular
I bought the TREK domane SLR7 less than 2 months back.
Since few weeks I have been hearing a unusual click noise when I ride. Took it few times to the trek repair shop and they said it's all OK.
Today I asked them to remove the crank set to check and behind then crank there is a huge Crack in the bike frame.
I haven't had a single fall or accident .The crank set has no scratches on it and no damage at all.

Has anyone experienced something like this?
I have asked the dealer to claim warranty but they said trek will investigate and might take 3 to 4 months.

I can't seem to understand how has a new frame cracked in less than 2 months.

Attachments

• 20210822_122944.jpg
    20210822_122944.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20210822_123310.jpg
    20210822_123310.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210822_122948.jpg
    20210822_122948.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 157

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should be covered by warranty. Check with the supplying dealer.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Dont need to take the crankset off to see that crack….but there does seem an aweful amount of damage around the BB for a 2mth old bike…..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looking at it more closely it does appear to have had an impact of some sort so maybe I was wrong about the chain. The rear part of the crack has lifted suggesting that whatever hit it was pulled away opening up the crack. A manufacturing fault wouldn't be open and uneven like that.

That's a lot of paint missing round there for a two month old bike. The chain has definitely come off - and there's a lot of grime too.

That said - shouldn't they fit a chain catcher if that can break the frame?

I've had CF frames for years and never had that damage.

Big John

Guru
You have to keep pushing for a warranty claim and see what their inspection throws up. I honestly wish you luck with that because that bike's unrideable. That said, there's an awful lot of marks around the bottom bracket area and my guess is they'll query that, certainly for the short period of time you say you've had the bike. At some time or other we've all dropped a chain - it happens even with the pros, take today's Vuelta stage for example - but a dropped chain shouldn't do that sort of damage to a bike. If it did no one would buy carbon bikes. I've had a carbon bike for 14 years and dropped the chain a few times with no visible damage.

When you put the clipless pedals on did you have any bother removing the OEM ones that the bike came with? I’m not an expert by wondering if the force applied to remove the pedals was enough to crack the carbon and over time it has worsened?

OldShep

Über Member
I too was going to say Trek warranty job no problem usually all sorted within a few weeks. Then I look at all that damage and I think you’re going to need a lot of luck and goodwill. What on earth have you done to that bike in only two months?
I've a 10 yo Domane with nothing at all like that.

Top Bottom