TREK Domane SLR7 2021 frame crack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The_Kruiser

The_Kruiser

Regular
We need to know the answers to this, really. If it wasn't second hand 2 months ago the that is some pretty rough treatment of a new bike imho.
If it was, I would be going back to the seller.
Bought it new from the showroom.
After looking into all the records , TREK has agreed to replace the frame & its on the way.

It's for 9k.
They agreed to replace the frame
Blimey. Glad they are sorting you out.
A mates s works cracked whilst flying and after that was replaced we found a hole in the fork in the middle of a ride. They replaced that too.

I wonder if the high value carbon isn't as resilient to knocks as the cheaper heavier CF ?

si_c

Guru
Sure replace the continuous fibers running whole length of chainstay, easy-peasy.
Slopping some resin on it, even with fibers added would crack on first hill climb or pothole
It's a bit more involved than that, but there are companies which offer a repair service.

sasquath

Are you sure about that ?
pretty sure, assuming it was manufacturing defect and it's fatigue crack:
You would have to sand down the paint, inspect for lengthway cracks(x-ray wouldn't hurt) wrap the chain stay at least 2 inches each side of the crack with carbon tissue and vacuum bag it to have any confidence in it, not an easy repair, that's for sure.

pretty sure, assuming it was manufacturing defect and it's fatigue crack:
You would have to sand down the paint, inspect for lengthway cracks(x-ray wouldn't hurt) wrap the chain stay at least 2 inches each side of the crack with carbon tissue and vacuum bag it to have any confidence in it, not an easy repair, that's for sure.
I didn't say it was a DIY job but it's bread and butter to the many cf repair places.

Proto

Legendary Member
Sure replace the continuous fibers running whole length of chainstay, easy-peasy.
Slopping some resin on it, even with fibers added would crack on first hill climb or pothole

I've had a Cervelo R5 repaired a few years ago that had a similar crack to that. (Heathrow baggage handler crush, no brace between stays, one broken seat stay and one broken chain stay). Repair cost ~£200 (not much paintwork to remedy). Bike heavily used since, literally thousands of miles. No issues at all.

Of all the frame materials currently being used, carbon fibre is the easiest and cheapest to repair.

Milzy

Guru
Sorry to see this, yeah there’s warranty but you will be waiting until after Christmas. :sad:

Top Bottom