Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
People continuing to walk side-by-side having a chat on a narrow pavement and expecting you to walk into the road to avoid them.

I know, I know, it's kinda petty, but be have more than our fair share of crap pavements locally because you still need to fit all those cars into what amounts to the original medieval street plan. If Mrs Dr B and myself are having a walk and a chat and see someone coming the other way, we'll go single file so no one has to step out into the road. Why is this so ****ing hard! Think of the aero advantage if nothing else!!!!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
People continuing to walk side-by-side having a chat on a narrow pavement and expecting you to walk into the road to avoid them.

I know, I know, it's kinda petty, but be have more than our fair share of crap pavements locally because you still need to fit all those cars into what amounts to the original medieval street plan. If Mrs Dr B and myself are having a walk and a chat and see someone coming the other way, we'll go single file so no one has to step out into the road. Why is this so ****ing hard! Think of the aero advantage if nothing else!!!!!

I know. same thing happens in supermarkets. People just idly stand in the aisle with their trolley across the entire aisle. It's not hard to have some degree of spacial awareness. I always do a shoulder check before I stop or pull out into an aisle, and when I'm choosing somehting I make sure my trolley is tucked in

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I know. same thing happens in supermarkets. People just idly stand in the aisle with their trolley across the entire aisle. It's not hard to have some degree of spacial awareness. I always do a shoulder check before I stop or pull out into an aisle, and when I'm choosing
Ditto people who:
stand in shop entrances/exits
barge onto trains when you're trying to exit
lifts,
etc etc

I know. same thing happens in supermarkets. People just idly stand in the aisle with their trolley across the entire aisle. It's not hard to have some degree of spacial awareness. I always do a shoulder check before I stop or pull out into an aisle, and when I'm choosing somehting I make sure my trolley is tucked in

Yup
Really annoys me when it is a wife with attendant husband who is required to be right next to the wife at all times - thus meaning that they take up 2-3 times the aisle spaces they need to - or stand in front of about 9 foot of shelf space

I have even seen a husband see the problem and back off to the other side to allow people past - only for his wife to tell his to come back!!!!!

I know this sounds sexist - but this particular phenomenon only seems to be with a male/female couple where they are of, or near, retirement age and the female is clearly in charge

Most people manage to shop together perfectly well - but there are a few that seem to be unable to shop together and consider the other shoppers at the same time:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

Stop and stand still, until they go around you. Also works for those people carrying little or nothing in their hands at supermarkets, but insist on waking straight at you, while your are struggling with a full trolley 😠

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Stop and stand still, until they go around you. Also works for those people carrying little or nothing in their hands at supermarkets, but insist on waking straight at you, while your are struggling with a full trolley 😠

I knew this one would draw a few people out :biggrin:.

Generally I'm not one to seek confrontation (and I'll kick your head in if you say otherwise) but after a very shoot day a couple of months ago I did try this and the results were just plain weird. The lady chatting away her co-pavementee walked into me, stopped, stared up, looked baffled that I wasn't made of gas or some other ephemeral substance, then sort of tried to push me aside into the road, which really wasn't happening because of physics of nothing else, and finally tutted and half-wheeled her friend while barging past. The road was pretty busy, so there really wasn't anywhere for me to go even if I'd wanted to. Utterly bizarre incident and actually what reminded me of this particular peeve.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do not agree. Addition/subtraction/multiplication/division of small numbers is a pretty fundamental skill, even though there is usually technology available to do that job...

I once handed over a £5 note at a cafe to pay my £4.50 bill. The flustered teen at the till couldn't find the shop's calculator to work out much change to give me! (And they asked me nervously if I was really sure that it was 50p when I told them...) :whistle:

Another example....

:wacko:

In my whisky distillery days we had long columns of figures to add up [whisky cask contents] and also calculations to do with how much water to add to get the correct strength among other things. Calculators were available but once you got a bit of practice doing it in your head was actually quicker and more accurate. Everything was double checked by Customs and Excise who also worked manually. We competed for speed and both had to get the same end result or start again till we did. The C&E always maintained that calculators did not automatically correct for minor mistakes as you could do if doing it all in your head.

figbat

Slippery scientist
That’s another trivial annoyance of mine. People using the singular of a measurement when it should be plural!

But context and syntax are key. It is "a 9 foot shelf", as well as being "a shelf that is 9 feet long". Although in the case highlighted I agree that plural is technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct*.

* courtesy of Central Bureaucracy, est. 2159

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Ah, point taken, I misunderstood the definition.

I will admit to using the till at work for even the simplest of transactions because I know my ability to funk up sums; I find it hard to see the connection between numbers -any numbers- and what they represent.

Another example of basic maths is that the train station is 12km away, it takes 5 mins to get ticket. Next train is 24 mins, given the speed you can average, can you get to the station in time, or should you relax and aim for one in an hour?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Another example of basic maths is that the train station is 12km away, it takes 5 mins to get ticket. Next train is 24 mins, given the speed you can average, can you get to the station in time, or should you relax and aim for one in an hour?

If it's Transpennine Express, find out which one is cancelled first, then rush/relax accordingly :whistle:

Top Bottom