Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I know it well! It's a source of much local amusement. About 10-15 minutes walk from my house. We often walk up the lane from the canal. Lots of good stories. How long have you got?

The farm is located down on a short tarmacced lane which also leads to 3-4 cottages below the farm. As far as I know none of those properties have changed hands in recent years but I could well be wrong.

So, the farmer has four pigs. Yep. They live in a pen as close as possible to the boundary with the cottages. Can't remember seeing the pigs last time we wandered by. The geese have been moved to the opposite side of the lane again up against the boundary. The same field now contains quite a collection of the sort of things one sees scattered around farms. Unusual to see them all in one spot. 🤔
He sounds like Farmer Palmer from Viz.
Doing everything possible to annoy the neighbours.
Every business has a responsibility to their neighbours to act with some responsibility.
Is it a real working farm or just a family small holding?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
He sounds like Farmer Palmer from Viz.
Doing everything possible to annoy the neighbours.
Every business has a responsibility to their neighbours to act with some responsibility.
Is it a real working farm or just a family small holding?
I can't help but feel you're jumping to unnecessary conclusions. I don't know the full story despite having lived here for 38 years. Nor do I know anyone who does. My guess is there is a grain of truth to both sides of the argument which has escalated in the daft manner these things can. With both sides retaliating at every opportunity.

Working farm or small-holding? Difficult to say really. The main business seems to be connected to shire horses. That's one of the strange things about it. Never seen a shire horse on the land.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just heard someone who i thought was ok say "Scotland was in the top league,like Glasgow Rangers,but now we're like Accrington Stanley". Those who use the team i support as an example of failure should think again. A club that went out of existence,then fought it's way back up again is a success,not a failure!🧐

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
There is a two-mile stretch of the M6 at Shap where the two carriageways are up to 300m apart (so much so that a road crossing the motorway goes over the northbound carriageway but under the southbound one), but there are no buildings of note in the no-mans-land.

There is a two-mile stretch of the M6 at Shap where the two carriageways are up to 300m apart (so much so that a road crossing the motorway goes over the northbound carriageway but under the southbound one), but there are no buildings of note in the no-mans-land.
That is almost certainly what I was thinking of. I probably saw a small shed once, and imagined there was a whole farm/dwelling there!

(I think I crossed that bit of the M62 - or at least nearby - riding from Skipton to Glossop last year. Didn't have many options. It was a lovely bit of countryside if you could ignore the motorway ... )

out of interest,what sort of evidence do you need?
(I have got off local train because of folks not wearing masks - pretty sure not all were exempt)

At work you need a letter from a doctor saying specifically that you are exempt. I think there's a more standardised form* for general use like public transport.

*Standardised because hey, we're German: of course it's standardised...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think I crossed that bit of the M62 - or at least nearby - riding from Skipton to Glossop last year. Didn't have many options. It was a lovely bit of countryside if you could ignore the motorway ...
I cycle round there fairly frequently, and it IS!

I normally come back over the M62 on the B6114 but recently discovered THIS underpass which opens up attractive variations that I haven't ridden before.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a pair of gloves the other day. This cardboard thingy was in both gloves to keep their shape/appearance. Not annoyed,more just wondering why there isn't a thumb?🤔

1614469050438.png

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought a pair of gloves the other day. This cardboard thingy was in both gloves to keep their shape/appearance. Not annoyed,more just wondering why there isn't a thumb?🤔

View attachment 576181
Perhaps because they are intended to stop one finger (or thumb) getting trapped inside another and as long as only one is left free, it shouldn't happen? :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Shoe laces that won't stay tight and tied whatever knot/bow is used!

Now, that really peeves me..
My shoelaces have to be double-knotted or they come unravelled. I hate double-knotting laces, but I'm too cheap to throw out a perfectly good pair of laces just because they have to be double-knotted. They've been annoying me for a couple of years now, and I'd say they've got plenty of life in them.

Top Bottom