Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember reading once that a cheeky chappy once included in a set of such small-print terms - buried deep in sub-clause 37 (b) iii - that anyone could get $100, no strings attached, by simply copying 'n pasting the offer in by email. After 18 months, and 3.2 million downloads, two people had claimed.
I think I would avoid getting sued (or bankrupted...), by limiting it to the first 3 replies! :okay:

Captain Sensible

I remember reading once that a cheeky chappy once included in a set of such small-print terms - buried deep in sub-clause 37 (b) iii - that anyone could get $100, no strings attached, by simply copying 'n pasting the offer in by email. After 18 months, and 3.2 million downloads, two people had claimed.

View: https://youtu.be/sdi6E-qzS1c

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Designers who, faced with the need to provide instant, intuitive access to key information, decide it would be a good idea to set it in a small font in almost the same colour as the background, thereby making it all but invisible...

1615384244179.png

...so the punter only discovers these are honey nuts after he's already sprinkled them over his stir fry. :angry:

figbat

Slippery scientist
When the handrail on an escalator moved marginally faster than the stairs...
I’ve read a few explanations of this, from differences in distance traveled to wear and stretching. However the one I side with is that it is supposed to annoy you. More accurately it is so you can’t lean on it and relax enough to forget to step off. Keeps you on your toes, so-to-speak.

Sainsbury's shelf edge labels.

Surely, the whole point of having to display the "price per weight" is so one can compare relative value?

So who thought it was clever to display some as "price per 100g", some as "price per 200g" and some as "price per kg" in the same category section, for different items?

Nowhere near as annoying as the electronic voice on the escalator in our local Asda Home which keeps anouncing

"Caution! You are nearing the end of the escalator"

at regular intervals, even when there's no-one ON the pigging thing!

This happens in Japan too, about every ten seconds in some places, but as I can't speak Japanese it's less annoying and becomes background noise.

Last edited:
Sainsbury's shelf edge labels.

Surely, the whole point of having to display the "price per weight" is so one can compare relative value?

So who thought it was clever to display some as "price per 100g", some as "price per 200g" and some as "price per kg" in the same category section, for different items?
YES - this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tesco may be slightly better - they don;t do the "per 200g" stuff - but having e.g. sprouts labelled with price per kg - but 'peeled sprouts' have the price per 100g
OK - I can do simple sums and divide/multiply by 10 (knew a science degree would come in handy at some point!!) but WHY FFS WHY!!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a double 'where the feck are they??!!!' experience today. The first one was when i went to buy a pie in a local pie and cake shop. "Would you like it warmed up" she asked. Yes please i replied. This is a pie bare in mind,so we're talking probably 1 minute 30 seconds to warm the thing up. She came back 7 whole minutes later! Then i went across the road to the chemist/pharmacy to ask if they had my prescription and if so could i have it. "I'll only be a minute" he said. 15 Minutes later he eventually appeared with my stuff! 🧐

Last edited:
I once googled why handrails move faster and found an article telling me it was impossible for there to be any speed differential. A few seconds on any escalator proves that to be wrong, so stupid incorrect articles make me annoyed beyond expectation.
Maybe because if they moved slightly slower there’s a theoretical danger that one might lean back and fall?

Top Bottom