Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Those really annoying little plastic seals around the top of jars ie. Tesco honey. The latter have no resorted to just a single paper tab. Easy to open, no more plastic in the environment but mouth wash is still at it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lids no longer supplied on yoghurt and cottage-cheese pots. We kept using the supply of lids we'd saved, but eventually had to buy reusable ones. Fair enough but why don't supermarkets sell them? (not the shops I use anyway).

Lids no longer supplied on yoghurt and cottage-cheese pots. We kept using the supply of lids we'd saved, but eventually had to buy reusable ones. Fair enough but why don't supermarkets sell them? (not the shops I use anyway).
They still sell them with products like Alpro, which you may find in easy reach while you are browsing your supermarket brand yoghurts ... :whistle:

(n.b. I do try to bring old lids with me to the shop!)

Alex321

Veteran
Those really annoying little plastic seals around the top of jars ie. Tesco honey. The latter have no resorted to just a single paper tab. Easy to open, no more plastic in the environment but mouth wash is still at it.

Those are there as tamper evidence, so that people can't open the jars in the shops without it being obvious they have been opened.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
They still sell them with products like Alpro, which you may find in easy reach while you are browsing your supermarket brand yoghurts ... :whistle:

(n.b. I do try to bring old lids with me to the shop!)

Yes, lids have fallen off such brands as I passed, and somehow found their way into my basket, but rarely fit my favoured ALDI low fat Greek style Yoghurt pot (my wife prefers the 500ml size, so that is the size I must purchase. The 1L size comes with lid, and is a few pence cheaper of course.) After exhaustive research I have determined that other brand's containers often have different diameter pots, and most now have foil lids only.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been undertaken as I came off a roundabout near to home. Imagine me indicating right as I went round the roundabout, till I switched to indicating left as I turned off at 2 o clock. I then suddenly saw in my left eye peripheral a car overtake me on my left! How this idiot missed hitting me, or me hitting the idiot I don't know! The red mist came down and I went after the idiot, flashing my lights in an aggressive manner. Thankfully the idiot stuck his/her hand out and gave an apologetic wave. If it'd been a rude gesture things might've got out of hand. I'm seeing more of this undertaking these days, mainly on dual carriageways, but the other week some idiot actually undertook me on a narrow single carriageway!

Alex321

Veteran
I've just been undertaken as I came off a roundabout near to home. Imagine me indicating right as I went round the roundabout, till I switched to indicating left as I turned off at 2 o clock. I then suddenly saw in my left eye peripheral a car overtake me on my left! How this idiot missed hitting me, or me hitting the idiot I don't know! The red mist came down and I went after the idiot, flashing my lights in an aggressive manner. Thankfully the idiot stuck his/her hand out and gave an apologetic wave. If it'd been a rude gesture things might've got out of hand. I'm seeing more of this undertaking these days, mainly on dual carriageways, but the other week some idiot actually undertook me on a narrow single carriageway!

In general, if you CAN be undertaken, then you are not driving correctly. There are exceptions of course, but they are exceptions, not the norm.

Chris S

Legendary Member
It's not really an annoyance but there seems to be a new fad amongst motorcyclists were they ride with one or both feet dangling down. If they hit a bump or other obstruction then they could easily come off.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It's not really an annoyance but there seems to be a new fad amongst motorcyclists were they ride with one or both feet dangling down. If they hit a bump or other obstruction then they could easily come off.

Why would they come off? The footpegs are essentially just somewhere to rest your feet and from which to operate the gears and rear brake. You don’t stand on or brace against them unless in vigorous cornering or off-road.

Sometimes it’s nice to stretch out the legs if you’ve been in the saddle a while.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why would they come off? The footpegs are essentially just somewhere to rest your feet and from which to operate the gears and rear brake. You don’t stand on or brace against them unless in vigorous cornering or off-road.

Because their feet are a few inches off the ground and could easily catch on something.

My moto experience is minimal - but I can't believe control/balance is totally different to a pushbike. When I take my feet off the pedals I'm pretty sure I'm not as in control of my machine.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

I've noticed this recently but only with scooters, and 99% of them on L plates. They have their feet down to set off (obviously) but just leave them dangling for about 300 yards after they've set off. It doesn't unbalance you as such but it is dangerous; trousres could catch in something or be swiped by a passing vehicle. And it looks stupid

Top Bottom