Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
'Alloys' as in 'my alloys were damaged by the pothole'. It's a petrol head word. What's wrong with 'wheel rims'?

They want you to know they spent money on alloy wheels.
Only because they heard from someone that they were going to make the car handle better
They don't know what that really means and have no insight into the impact of changing the unsprung weight.
They also lack the wit to avoid the pothole anyway. They're too busy savouring the bass booster.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
People who wear a watch facing inwards. ie: not with the watch face on the outer side of their wrist.

Also, similarly, people who wear rings on their thumbs or pinkies. Just wrong & annoying!

When I go caving I turn my watch onto the inside of my wrist so it's a lot less likely to be damaged.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I once met an older gent on a cheapo MTB using a bathroom radio for this. Being German it was Oompah music which is marginally worse.

DB69BAF7-25DF-4CE3-A1F0-C1FE8F67EB0C.jpeg

Alex321

Veteran
Not especially trivial given the potential for accidents, but those drivers who have a phone stuck in a cradle on the dash board or sometimes even on the windscreen itself.

Before I had a car with built in satnav, I used to use my phone for that, and it was in a cradle. Perfectly legal, and perfectly safe.

It is only bad having it in a cradle if you are going to be fiddling with it while moving.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Before I had a car with built in satnav, I used to use my phone for that, and it was in a cradle. Perfectly legal, and perfectly safe.

It is only bad having it in a cradle if you are going to be fiddling with it while moving.

Is it legal though. I thought that you had to have an uninterrupted view out of the windscreen? And I wouldn't say safe if it blocks the view.

Alex321

Veteran
Is it legal though. I thought that you had to have an uninterrupted view out of the windscreen? And I wouldn't say safe if it blocks the view.

Depends where it is - and that is a new law brought in since the days I had one anyhow. And mine was mounted on the dashboard, the top of the phne appeared to be below the line of the front of the bonnet from my viewpoint.

In zone A - an area 280mm wide centred on the steering wheel, no obstructions are allowed which encroach more than 10mm.
In the rest of the windscreen, 40mm is allowed.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Sitting in parked car, engine off. Listening to birdsong.

Another motorist parks next to you. Engine running - to keep warm (so wear more clothes) or aircon (so wear fewer clothes).

I drive away to find a quieter spot.

Top Bottom