Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Ah yes, a watch worn that way is so 1970's, especially when worn on the right hand. As is all right hand watch wearing, in my opinion of course.:stop: As for rings, I wear a slim signet ring on my left hand little finger, but a ring on the thumb means.....:ohmy: Maybe it's best not to say it on a family friendly public forum.:unsure:

Oh? The thumb ring think. I thought it meant " I'm a twerp and this is only thing I can do to hope you think I'm creative and out there"

Gwylan

Veteran
The NHS fatuous time wasting questionnaire.
Would you recommend our mortuary to you friends and family?
If you were visiting again what improvements could we make?
Did you take advantage of the hot drink dispensers?

Last week I went inside my bank in the High Street. Walked straight to the cash dispenser machine, card in, PIN entered, retrieved my card and the cash and I turned and left the premises. All done in a couple of minutes and no interaction or words exchanged with any staff. Perfectly happy with the whole shebang.
This evening I get a text message from the bank advising me that the bank would like to hear my feedback about the visit and there is a link to click to access a short survey.
Last week on a different day I went to one of the big name national opticians to have my eyes tested……….yep, I received an email inviting me to complete their survey and tell them about my experience.
Of course, the time I’ve spent compiling this post could have been productively used to complete their surveys but where’s the fun in that !

I never respond, it only encourages them!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
People obsessing over the trivial minutiae of Royal photographs, spotting someone's finger is about one nano-millimetre out of alignment and then its a global photoshop conspiracy. 'Royal watchers'..... get a life you sad people.

I don't think the Monarchists had any problem whatsoever with the photo. It was the press that inexplicably expressed horror at inadvertently being only 99.99% accurate.
Back to normal today, so probably won't need to look far to see the normal twisting of the truth in the headlines.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that they suspect that she is too ill to be photographed with the kids...!

I hope that she is okay but am not interested in reports about that family.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Solo drivers with right of way who think they're doing you a favour by stopping when you're trying to turn into a junction or cross the road...

Just endured a somewhat extreme example - it's raining, I'm on foot, just want to cross the road and get in the dry. A single car waiting to turn across me out of a junction waits, possibly for me to cross but with no obvious indication to me of their intentions. I instinctively stand by the side of the road until they eventually move, by which point another car is now coming along the road - and also stops for no descernible reason, before eventually moving on. Finally, one comes from the other direction also stops.

I end up losing my sh*t and going out of my way to go around the back of the final car as I'm not certain why they've stopped and crossing in front of them obviously presents an additional hazard to me. I understand that the actions of these drivers were probably motivated by consideration, however all they achieved by essentially deciding they knew better than the highway code was to waste everyones' time by creating this entirely un-necessary mexican standoff.

If they'd have just continued on their way - observing the usual priorities of the road - everyone would have reached their destination sooner :rolleyes:

Alex321

Veteran
Solo drivers with right of way who think they're doing you a favour by stopping when you're trying to turn into a junction or cross the road...

Just endured a somewhat extreme example - it's raining, I'm on foot, just want to cross the road and get in the dry. A single car waiting to turn across me out of a junction waits, possibly for me to cross but with no obvious indication to me of their intentions. I instinctively stand by the side of the road until they eventually move, by which point another car is now coming along the road - and also stops for no descernible reason, before eventually moving on. Finally, one comes from the other direction also stops.

I end up losing my sh*t and going out of my way to go around the back of the final car as I'm not certain why they've stopped and crossing in front of them obviously presents an additional hazard to me. I understand that the actions of these drivers were probably motivated by consideration, however all they achieved by essentially deciding they knew better than the highway code was to waste everyones' time by creating this entirely un-necessary mexican standoff.

If they'd have just continued on their way - observing the usual priorities of the road - everyone would have reached their destination sooner :rolleyes:

They were not "deciding they knew better than the highway code", they were observing the new version (from January 2022) correctly.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction

Rule H2 - Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists​

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).

Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing.

Horse riders should also give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing.

Cyclists should give way to pedestrians on shared use cycle tracks and to horse riders on bridleways.

Only pedestrians may use the pavement. Pedestrians include wheelchair and mobility scooter users.

Pedestrians may use any part of the road and use cycle tracks as well as the pavement, unless there are signs prohibiting pedestrians.

Rule H2: Wait for the pedestrian to cross the junction before turning. This applies if you are turning right or left into the junction.

Rule H2: Wait for the pedestrian to cross the junction before turning. This applies if you are turning right or left into the junction.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I don't think the Monarchists had any problem whatsoever with the photo. It was the press that inexplicably expressed horror at inadvertently being only 99.99% accurate.
Back to normal today, so probably won't need to look far to see the normal twisting of the truth in the headlines.

Some of the UK press strike me as being as useful as telephone sanitisers as parodied by Douglas Adams.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Weather forecasters saying: 'From the word go'. Weather forecasters saying: 'There will be cloud in the sky'. Weather forecasters saying: 'North East facing coasts'. Why the 'facing'?

Because some parts of the North East coast are facing South East? :laugh:

First one, agree. Second one - well sometimes there isn't. Third one - because that is the direction of out to sea on those coasts - that distinguishes them from coasts which are in the North-East of the country/area, which is what would be meant without it.

Thing is, 'North East facing coasts' is almost always used for coasts in the North East. Other coastal areas being referred to separately - South Coast, East Coast etc. If there is cloud where is it usually located?
The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south.

(Showing my age there!)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
They were not "deciding they knew better than the highway code", they were observing the new version (from January 2022) correctly.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction

Rule H2 - Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists​

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).

Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing.

Horse riders should also give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing.

Cyclists should give way to pedestrians on shared use cycle tracks and to horse riders on bridleways.

Only pedestrians may use the pavement. Pedestrians include wheelchair and mobility scooter users.

Pedestrians may use any part of the road and use cycle tracks as well as the pavement, unless there are signs prohibiting pedestrians.

View attachment 724225

I was on the main road and not on a designated crossing, so that rule doesn't apply ;)

Alex321

Veteran
I was on the main road and not on a designated crossing, so that rule doesn't apply ;)

Yes it does, if they are turning onto the main road from a side road.

If they are just travelling along the main road it doesn't, but the first one at least, according to you was "A single car waiting to turn across me out of a junction waits".

Top Bottom