Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't know if there is a word or phrase for it, but I do this at work a few times a year and it really annoys me:

When you've completed a task/sent an email, and they reply to say something's wrong. You then reply and apologise for your mistake. Then after a while you're checking back through said task and realise it was their mistake and you've admitted guilt for no reason!

I don't know if there is a word or phrase for it, but I do this at work a few times a year and it really annoys me:

When you've completed a task/sent an email, and they reply to say something's wrong. You then reply and apologise for your mistake. Then after a while you're checking back through said task and realise it was their mistake and you've admitted guilt for no reason!

I've learned to say "Oh, really, where is it, and I'll check it" I had a real habit of apologising automatically, so not I try not to apologise in the moment but check first and decide if I feel it's necessary.

presta

Guru
I wish they'd bring back the thin poly bags on supermarket fruit & veg counters, I get fed up of faffing around wrapping and unwrapping a bundle of carrots with cling film.

Alex321

Veteran
I wish they'd bring back the thin poly bags on supermarket fruit & veg counters, I get fed up of faffing around wrapping and unwrapping a bundle of carrots with cling film.

They have the reuseable mesh bags instead. Much better for keeping them in (clingfilm is probably about the worst thing you could possibly use), and once you have them, they are free for further use. They are 30p each to buy, we have half a dozen, as e keep the veg in them once we have them home, so some are always in use, and we usually have 3-4 available each week to take with us.

We keep them in the reusable blue boxes that we got when Tesco had the short lived box trolley system, and which we normally use for our shopping, so never really forget to take them..

They have the reuseable mesh bags instead. Much better for keeping them in (clingfilm is probably about the worst thing you could possibly use), and once you have them, they are free for further use. They are 30p each to buy, we have half a dozen, as e keep the veg in them once we have them home, so some are always in use, and we usually have 3-4 available each week to take with us.

These also make really good shoe-bags! (being breathable)

presta

Guru
They have the reuseable mesh bags instead. Much better for keeping them in (clingfilm is probably about the worst thing you could possibly use)
The only reason I started using clingfilm in the first place is that carrots go soft and bendy if they're not wrapped in something airtight. The skin on carrots isn't airtight like on onions, aubergines, courgettes etc, which don't need cling film until after they're cut open. Parsnips are like carrots too, they go rubbery if they aren't wrapped. Potatoes are a two-edged sword, they go soft quicker if you take them out of the poly bag, but they go mouldy if you don't.

Red17

Veteran
The only reason I started using clingfilm in the first place is that carrots go soft and bendy if they're not wrapped in something airtight. The skin on carrots isn't airtight like on onions, aubergines, courgettes etc, which don't need cling film until after they're cut open. Parsnips are like carrots too, they go rubbery if they aren't wrapped. Potatoes are a two-edged sword, they go soft quicker if you take them out of the poly bag, but they go mouldy if you don't.
For bendy carrots you can firm them up by soaking in cold water for a couple of hours

oldwheels

Legendary Member

My father grew lots of carrots which lasted all winter as they were kept in dry sand in a cool spot at the end of his potting shed. Main problem was making sure cats were kept out as they regarded a pile of sand as an ideal crapping spot.
Potatoes were kept in a “ clamp” which was really just a conical row covered with turf. They also lasted all winter with no problem.
The modern washing means they are nice and clean for sale but do not keep.

Windle

Über Member
My father grew lots of carrots which lasted all winter as they were kept in dry sand in a cool spot at the end of his potting shed. Main problem was making sure cats were kept out as they regarded a pile of sand as an ideal crapping spot.
Potatoes were kept in a “ clamp” which was really just a conical row covered with turf. They also lasted all winter with no problem.
The modern washing means they are nice and clean for sale but do not keep.

I grow most of my potatoes in big pots and harvest them when I want them. A quirky 'tradition' of mine is that I always grow my Christmas dinner tatties in pots behind the end of the aviary and once the foliage has died back I just leave them in there until Christmas Eve! If it's very wet I just cover the pots with plastic chuck food bags. They're always fine.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Looking at some photos of men wearing kilts which of course all come from hire firms for formal occasions.
Many if not most have them far too long which I find annoying. If you are going to wear one then make the effoert to do it properly. Some are even mid calf length which is particularly bizarre.
The bottom of the kilt should be at mid kneecap and if kneeling down should just touch the floor.
Kilt wearing used to be not uncommon for day wear and all seemed to get it right then. I wore one myself if at any "dressed up " occasion and also at Trade Fairs for a bit of show.
I do have photos but they will be on negatives and take weeks to find.

Looking at some photos of men wearing kilts which of course all come from hire firms for formal occasions.
Many if not most have them far too long which I find annoying. If you are going to wear one then make the effoert to do it properly. Some are even mid calf length which is particularly bizarre.
The bottom of the kilt should be at mid kneecap and if kneeling down should just touch the floor.
Kilt wearing used to be not uncommon for day wear and all seemed to get it right then. I wore one myself if at any "dressed up " occasion and also at Trade Fairs for a bit of show.
I do have photos but they will be on negatives and take weeks to find.

I thought kilts were originally longer?

Top Bottom