Trivial things that please you beyond all expectations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
While out walking this aft' I had a grumble about dropped litter swirling round in the wind, then spotted this was swirling with that litter!! ^_^

View attachment 634440
I had similar on a litter pick recently. I saw some blue paper and had to stretch through a hawthorn hedge to get it, getting a bit scratched, but was well pleased when it was a fiver.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm astonished there isn't a set number of spaces for locals. Actually, I'm even more astonished that tourists can take their cars onto a small island with very limited capacity in the infrastructure.
No concessions for locals which is causing much anger.
It is not such a small island but the infrastructure has difficulty coping. The holiday home owners and incomers are incentified by greed to get even more tourists to their B&Bs and twee tea shoppes.
A survey sponsored by RSPB claims we benefit by £8 million per annum from sea eagles alone. Nobody knows where the alleged money goes and the reaction from the local FB page is scathing.
Iona is a really small island and so many cars claim to have to go there that cycling is more or less impossible now. You need a permit but this system I suspect is widely abused.

No concessions for locals which is causing much anger.
It is not such a small island but the infrastructure has difficulty coping. The holiday home owners and incomers are incentified by greed to get even more tourists to their B&Bs and twee tea shoppes.
A survey sponsored by RSPB claims we benefit by £8 million per annum from sea eagles alone. Nobody knows where the alleged money goes and the reaction from the local FB page is scathing.
Iona is a really small island and so many cars claim to have to go there that cycling is more or less impossible now. You need a permit but this system I suspect is widely abused.

We only have a few islands on the north coast but many are car free, so you can walk, cycle or ins ome cases take the train. As you can imagine, this makes them even more popular with tourists*, but it means those tourists are easier to accommodate, cars being a very inefficient use of space. It would be interesting to see how much banning cars is worth in terms of visitors and income.

On Helgoland the traffic law doesn't officially apply, so you can't even ride a bike there.

Sylt, on the other hand is connected to the mainland with a by an extremely long causeway with a railway running across it, but no road. You'd think this would be ideal but some plonker went and suggested a car carrying rail service, and at the same time they closed the islands rail network, so it's now swamped with motor vehicles.

*ie: People who go to the island to enjoy the peace and fresh air, but will scream blue murder if you suggest restricting their right to drive on the mainland.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
MrsPete gains terrific pleasure from taking her bra off in the afternoon/evening.
Apparently it's a great relief..

On a different tack.. I've never quite worked out how women do that one arm twisting, shimmy shimmy shimmy, then pull a bra out from their sleeve!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Snow, like right now, I’ll be a big kid in it later

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I still use the old fashioned Rigid Gas Permeable lenses. I think I'm the only person in my local Specsavers who does.

But as they say - they work for me, so why change?
Heck, my mum used them for 40 odd years, up to her having cataract ops. I tried them when I first tried contact lenses when I was 17. They made my eyes smart like billyo so I settled for the yearly throw away soft lenses.

Alex321

Veteran
Heck, my mum used them for 40 odd years, up to her having cataract ops. I tried them when I first tried contact lenses when I was 17. They made my eyes smart like billyo so I settled for the yearly throw away soft lenses.
I first had them as an 18th birthday present (old style hard lenses, this was before RGP existed). In those days, soft lenses cost more than twice as much, and only lasted a year or so, while the hard lenses lasted a few years. I've worn them all my life since (and am now 63).

Went for a bike ride yesterday and it reminded me of something

You know when you say a cheerful Hello to a few people and get naff all back

then someone replied with a really nice Hello back

It kinda restores the world

On the same ride
You know when you come across someone with a dog that is happily sniffing around the edges at the edge of the path
and they hear your bell and call the dog
and many dog immediately look up
and turn to look at their owner
which necessarily involves turning to be directly across the whole path

well I find it hilarious

probably just me that one:laugh:

Top Bottom