Trouble with rear gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Second hand bike with wrong rear wheel/cassette fitted maybe? What model is it, the Sora gears? Could be 9spd gears and a 10 spd cassette which would explain the problem.

No ive checked the specs online its definitely stock.
Its 10 speed 105 gears

Once i get a chance i will try a few things suggested thanks!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Reading your OP again, check that the cable is clamped to the correct side on the mech. It should be wheel side of the clamp bolt, getting it wrong way round will give the problem you describe.

CXRAndy

Guru
Reading your OP again, check that the cable is clamped to the correct side on the mech. It should be wheel side of the clamp bolt, getting it wrong way round will give the problem you describe.

This above.

It does sound cable issue, loose in clamp or worn cable/cable sleeves

screenman

Legendary Member
No, start with the cable. If you haven't replaced the read cable outer in the last 6 months that's the likeliest problem. They get crudded up with rust and dirt.

I have not replaced an outer cable for over 8 years on my winter bike, I have though checked and realigned the mech a few times, the gears work great.

screenman

Legendary Member
No amount of cable twiddling is going to help if the basic, yes basic setup is wrong. I have no clue why so many people miss this most simple thing out first, seems way to obvious to me.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Right just got around to having a play, its not the slack in the spring so must be a cable fault...heres a few pics.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I started a fresh and although i still cant get all the gears, i have to turn the cable tension after the first couple changes so much to get it to move up one that it wont go into the biggest cog when it gets up the cassette that high.

Im also now getting what feels like sticking shifters?
I click up a gear and almost have to pull the leaver back to be able to click again tjen sometimes there is no click for a little while coming back down the cassette!

Think im going to pick up a new inner cable tomorrow and try that

I would just take it to a shop but i really want to lewen how to do this stuff myself!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did it select all 10 before you started fiddling fettling it

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Your cable is running through the wrong side of the pinch bolt on the clamp. Swap it round and I'll bet it solves the problem.
I dont think it is, if you look at the picture theres a grove where the cable should go, there is also a little arrow pointing to that side but i dont think you can see in the pics

Gunk

Guru
I had a similar issue with a bike we bought recently and it was a bent rear mech, I managed to carefully and gently twist it back into alignment by hand and it solved the problem.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I can see from here the mech is out of alignment, you may twiddle it better it will never be as good as it could be without fixing that basic problem first.
I cant see where its bent? Or what part of it needs straightening
Think im going to have to give in and take to a shop

Top Bottom