Trouble with rear gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1576170873669.png

screenman

Legendary Member
It does not work like that, still looks out from here. It seems that I am wasting my time now so will drop out.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Theres actually an article online saying if you dont have the tool use adjustable spanner, so i didnt just completely make it up haha

But yeah ive had enough of it now so lbs it is!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
It would be the simplest thing in the world to swap it over and try, but I suppose it's more fun to go bending parts of your frame with an adjustable spanner.

If you look at the picture there is not enough space for it to go the other side, the fact that there is a arrow pointing to that side and a grove for it to go suggests its on the correct side...
As for parts missing? Probably, could be that. guess i wont know untill i get in back from the shop.

The angle the cable comes out looks wrong to me so there may be friction on the housing. If you disconnect the cable from the derailleur and hold and move the derailleur whilst pedalling (if you have a cycle stand great or another pair of hands to lift the rear wheel off the ground) does it change OK then ? I know it may be a bit hit and miss but will give you an idea. If that is OK then it really boils down to a cable or issue of some description.
By the way, when my new bike arrived 4 years ago the derailleur hanger was bent. Rather than send it back I bent it back with a spanner and straightened it by eye and with a straight edge, nearly 6000 miles later it has shifted flawlessly (105). Hope you can get it sorted.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
The angle the cable comes out looks wrong to me so there may be friction on the housing. If you disconnect the cable from the derailleur and hold and move the derailleur whilst pedalling (if you have a cycle stand great or another pair of hands to lift the rear wheel off the ground) does it change OK then ? I know it may be a bit hit and miss but will give you an idea. If that is OK then it really boils down to a cable or issue of some description.
By the way, when my new bike arrived 4 years ago the derailleur hanger was bent. Rather than send it back I bent it back with a spanner and straightened it by eye and with a straight edge, nearly 6000 miles later it has shifted flawlessly (105). Hope you can get it sorted.
Thank you!

Yeah when its in the turbo, without the cable attached and me pushing it through the gears it goes up and down fine, as long as i dont let go to quick on the way down or it jams.

I agree the angle of the cable looks strange

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Looking at it from this angle, even if it could attach to the other side of the retaining screw it would still be going at a weird sideways angle.
Makes me think there is definitely something else wrong with it
20191212_195335.jpg

Looking at it from this angle, even if it could attach to the other side of the retaining screw it would still be going at a weird sideways angle.
Makes me think there is definitely something else wrong with it
View attachment 496337
That does not look right, a too sharp an angle. It is difficult to see what the problem without going out into my garage and having a look at my 105. Regardless of Claris, Sora, Tiaga, 105 etc etc they should all be pretty much similar otherwise there is too much friction to work properly as you are finding out. I have just watched that video and the angle of the cable changes according to which gear you are in. As others have mentioned about alignment, if that is not spot on it will throw out the derailleur. I`d certainly double check it, say in the middle cog making sure that the derailleur is perpendicular and also leaves the bottom jockey wheel cleanly.

Last edited:
Just a side thought. Are you trying to access all 10 gears using the same chainring ? If you are not a great idea anyway because as others have said about cross chaining, I`d always change chainring at least with two sprockets to spare. The shot you took which I have posted with my 11 speed, which chainring were you in ? Large or small or have you a triple ?

Mine on the right is a 2015 105 11 speed.

Hope you soon get it sorted.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thanks, its a double chainring i think it was in the small on that occasion but ive tried setting it up in both and also like you say, changing so not to cross chain.

I've stuck it in the shed now, getting on my nerves haha
Ill take it to a shop after xmas, i think it could do with a new cable and i might get a new chain and cassette too

Top Bottom