Trouble with rear gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just a side thought. Are you trying to access all 10 gears using the same chainring ? If you are not a great idea anyway because as others have said about cross chaining, I`d always change chainring at least with two sprockets to spare. The shot you took which I have posted with my 11 speed, which chainring were you in ? Large or small or have you a triple ?

View attachment 496435

Mine on the right is a 2015 105 11 speed.

Hope you soon get it sorted.
Cross chaining might not be a good idea, but it will have no effect on the mechs ability to shift. That will not be the issue.

Cross chaining might not be a good idea, but it will have no effect on the mechs ability to shift. That will not be the issue.
I realise that and was only offering advice because the chain was on the small chainring and small sprocket at the rear. It has to be a cable or alignment issue. As the OP says he will take it to a bike shop. It is always difficult to give cut and dried advice when not in front of the mech.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yep still in the shed, I've got a new cassette and chain and will be putting it in the shop some time in the next few weeks.

Im not in any rush, i get my fix on the mountain bike in this weather anyway

ozboz

Guru
I’ve had similar problems fettling rhe Indexing on my MtB, (a 1x11 )
I swapped the cassette to an 11 speed 50t, d’lr, shifter and chain to XT , an extender had to be fitted so the top jockey could clear the 50t ring, it is after a lot of fiddling just about 98% there , I am going to go on a jaunt around the Park trails this morn to see how it fares , I did read before I took this swap out onboard that it could be problematic , at best now it goes click by click from 11t to 50t , going the other way pops down to the 9th then ok all the way to 11t , if I correct the tension to get it go 11ring to 10th ring then going up it will not shift properly around the high speed cogs ,
So I have adjusted to shift up to the 50t and can live with the skip over the 10th cog to the 9th

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Right i said i would update so here i am, if you've seen my other thread i took to a shop but feel i had pretty bad service so asked them not to do anything and i picked it up.

Im going to have a proper go myself!

First job is fit new cassette and chain, should be easy enough then im going to fit new rear gear inner and outer cables and see how the shifting is then.

Its a 10 speed, ive got a 10 speed chain would i have to remove any links or should it be a straight replacement?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thanks, thats annoying.

I'll have to buy another tool!

I'll go get a tool from halfords tomorrow and give it a go

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well I've just put the cassette on, easy enough.
I'll have ago at the chain over the weekend.

That link looks perfect, I'll use that!

One thing i did notice when putting the squer back through when fitting the wheel is the mech moves towards the wheel slightly when locking in the QC squer, is it normal for it to do that?
Im guessing it is as the pressure is forcing the frame together to lock it

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well I've just put the cassette on, easy enough.
I'll have ago at the chain over the weekend.

That link looks perfect, I'll use that!

One thing i did notice when putting the squer back through when fitting the wheel is the mech moves towards the wheel slightly when locking in the QC squer, is it normal for it to do that?
Im guessing it is as the pressure is forcing the frame together to lock it
The frame dropouts will compress against the locknuts on the axle when you close the skewer (As they have to in order to hold the wheel in place) so yes it is normal.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Completely normal. Make sure you make all hanger alignment checks and gear indexing/stopscrew adjustments with the wheel in place and the skewer done up to its normal tension.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well cassette on, new chain on, new rear gear cable and housing but STILL cant get the gears to work right!
I have to unwind the tension screw so much to go up the cassette that it wont come back down unless i unwind it again!

It seems to stick around gear 5 or 6, so i tighten the screw and it goes up then back down untill 5 or 6 and sticks again and i have to untighten the screw for it to carry on down the cassette

Last edited:
Top Bottom