Trouble with rear gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Turn the pedals very
slowly and look directly behind the cass. Watch what the chain does when it clicks. It should run smoothly, but a tiny mis alignment can cause a click

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Is it me or is the mech well pissed!!

C R

Guru
Nope haha looks alot straighter though

What im reluctant to do is buy the tool and it still not work
I spent weeks trying to solve a problem with very similar symptoms to yours, though not as serious. Finally gave in and bought the tool. Once the tool arrived it took me all of fifteen minutes to get rid of the issue.

Alberto Balsam

I had a similar problem a while back. After a long while of trying to convince myself that the hanger wasn't THAT bent. (And it really was literally a bug's d1ck out - almost no perceptible bend - even on a surface table) I Had a go at straightening it and got it bang on (ish) but I bought a new hanger anyway; purely to eliminate it from the fault chain (Cos it's DEFINITELY not that). Turns out it was that. All the problems disappeared immediately on fitting.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a similar problem a while back. After a long while of trying to convince myself that the hanger wasn't THAT bent. (And it really was literally a bug's d1ck out - almost no perceptible bend on a surface table) I Had a go at straightening it and got it bang on (ish) So I bought a new hanger purely to eliminate it from the fault chain (Cos it's DEFINITELY not that) Turns out it was that. All the problems disappeared immediately on fitting.

You were lucky, an alignment tool is often needed after fitting a new hanger.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Tool arrived today so im going to have a little play tonight!

Just a thought as ive read you should grease the gear cables, ive got some gt85 is this ok to use?
The cable i bought was clarks

Top Bottom