Trouble with rear gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Rear mech has been bashed and is out of alignment.
do you get the required number of "clicks" on the shifter. i.e. if it's 10 speed do you get [edit] 9 clicks?
Second hand bike with wrong rear wheel/cassette fitted maybe? What model is it, the Sora gears? Could be 9spd gears and a 10 spd cassette which would explain the problem.
ive checked the specs online its definitely stock.
Its 10 speed 105 gears
it is worth checking that you get the right number of clicks from the shifter, eight clicks for nine speed, nine clicks for ten speed.
The OP has not confirmed the number of clicks he's getting from his shifter. OP - please do this, physically - not 'online'. While you're at it, what is the shifter, please? Peel back the rubber hood and the number will be visible in the format: ST-xxxx?
it's got to be an issue with the mech itself. It may be worth lubing the moving parts of the derailleur.
The angle the cable comes out looks wrong to me
I agree the angle of the cable looks strange
. . .
still be going at a weird sideways angle.
Makes me think there is definitely something else wrong with it
. . .
Well cassette on, new chain on, new rear gear cable and housing but STILL cant get the gears to work right!
I have to unwind the tension screw so much to go up the cassette that it wont come back down unless i unwind it again!
Either the shifter is a 9 speed, or (I agree with others above) this is a cable alignment issue: all these Shimano RDs have the cable lining up pretty well with the cable anchor arm/bolt right across the derailleur's range. The OP's image shows an angle that is not (ex)spec(ted). :bicycle:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The OP's image shows an angle that is not (ex)spec(ted).

It certainly looks all wrong. Getting it alongside another rear derailleur of the same, or similar spec might reveal the issue?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Hi im getting 9 clicks, its a 10 speed.

I can get it to go into all 10 gears but starting at smallest cog it goes up to around gear 5, then i have to adjust the tension screw to get it to go all the way to biggest cog, it will then come down to around gear 5 and i have to then undo the tension screw for it to come further down.

I agree the agle of the cable ot different to some others online but also its the same as someone elses posted in this thread and i also posted a picture online showing the same mech with the cable the same as i have it.

They are 105 shifters st 6700

Im pretty certian nothing is bent now.

Could it be at the shifter end at all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member

This is the same as mine and my cable follows the same as the one in this picture

This is what im doing...
Undoing cable from mech

Making sure the mech is aligned with smallest cog

Pushing mech up to biggest cog, making sure its aligned directly under it

Letting mech come back down to smallest cog

Wind tension screw right in then unscrew a couple turns

Push mech to second cog up (watched online its a good way to get slack out)? And let go of mech

Pull cable through and tighten, only pulling with fingers not really yanking it through

Pedal and mech drops to smallest cog

Go up through the gears adjusting as needed

Around gear 4 or 5 i have to really wind some tension to get it to carry on up almost untill its all the way undone
Then like i said above it goes up comes down to around gear 5 again and i have to wind the tension screw back in for it to carry on

Thanks for all the help so far guys, i really dont want to give in on this i want to be able to donit myself but it seems to be proving imposible!

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
This is how I setup a rear derailleur.

Slacken off the cable from the derailleur.
Use the shifter to put the gearing onto the 11t cog. Make sure by pressing the shifter there are no further clicks.

Set the barrel adjustment one third oit from fully wound in. Pull the cable taught, but without moving the derailleur, tighten the cable with allen key.

Now with shifter move the derailleur to middle of the cassette.

Turn the pedals whilst observing closely how the chain moves around the cassette- hopefully its all smooth, ni clicks or jumping. By seeing if the chain is touching the gear above or wanting to drop off the current gear, will tell you which way to adjust the barrel on the cable.

Once its running smoothly, shift up and down the cassette to make sure all other gears are good.

Adjust the end stops H L

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My RD on the winter bike is playing up , new cable and blasted the outers with lube and it still needs a double click to shift to a faster gear .
I have read that earlier sram are prone to the spring going so i might have to replace it

C R

Guru
Hi im getting 10 clicks, its a 10 speed.
10 clicks would be 11 speed.

Beaten to it by @Smokin Joe

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
My RD on the winter bike is playing up , new cable and blasted the outers with lube and it still needs a double click to shift to a faster gear .
I have read that earlier sram are prone to the spring going so i might have to replace it

I was wondering if there was enough tension in the spring earlier...

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ive only used the H L screws to set the limits all other adjustments are done with the tension screw on the mech.

The hanger is as straight as it can be without using fancy tools

Top Bottom