Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
[QUOTE 3550081, member: 9609"]Back to the real world, Brandane sums it up in this post - he does however forget to mention he will need to fund his holiday pay, sick pay and pension contributions out of this.

I see from your link there is a class 1 in my area suggesting 850 - £1100 per week - I must go and do my cpc and start driving again lol[/QUOTE]
Hey, no need for the sarcasm, I'm only putting a link up that shows that there are jobs for drivers that pay a lot more than min wage.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If you won't take my word for it, with regards to what I take home on a typical shift, then there isn't a lot of point in continuing to debate the point. @User9609 has backed me up on this. There might be regional variations; I am only concerned with what I get paid.
I only disagreed with your sweeping statement that all drivers earn min wage - quite clearly untrue. Both jobs available and the office statistics show it to be untrue.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can understand why you do not want to accept that you are the problem but you are. When you drive a lorry you are responsible for a large, heavy object that goes about the place at sped with restricted visibility. If they didn't exist already and you invented one from scratch today, do you think it would be allowed on our roads?
Part of the problem. The other part being the cyclist, in this case.

With one gone from the roads, the other would no longer have a problem. Thing is, which is easier to remove from the road?

We have Volvo and Renault now including equipment, in some of their car range, that can warn the driver about things they cannot see. Both also happen to make trucks and tractor units.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I only disagreed with your sweeping statement that all drivers earn min wage - quite clearly untrue. Both jobs available and the office statistics show it to be untrue.
Really? You'll need to point me towards that post, as I can't remember making that claim. Here is what I DID post though:
and all this for the princely sum of between £8.00 and £9.00 per hour plus maybe £15 "night out" money

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 3550092, member: 9609"]and as Brandane pointed out in his post it was with a generous company, it really is a brutal industry and it's getting worse. And as I pointed out in an earlier post there are jobs that you may get[B[ 25K per year [/B]but they are few and far between.[/QUOTE]
Per year! What happened to the per hour jobs?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Quicktemp could and have done in the past.
Out of that you're responsible for paying your own tax, NI & providing your own PPE(legally required) and meet the cost of getting to the vehichle pick-up point.
Which is in Bagdhad, and you have to bring it back to the UK via Syria. This will be your trailer, driver:
Stars-and-stripes-truck-Santa-Fe-New-Mexico_Graham-Miller_3.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Er, no. Cyclists being on the road are not a 'problem'. Like pedestrians (but unlike lorries) they are there by right.
For the purpose of this thread they are both on the opposite side of the same coin.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Which is in Bagdhad, and you have to bring it back to the UK via Syria. This will be your trailer, driver:
Stars-and-stripes-truck-Santa-Fe-New-Mexico_Graham-Miller_3.jpg
Which might not be as bad as the Saints (Heathrow air freight company) trailer which I once had to take from Glasgow to Aberdeen and back. It was to commemorate some football tournament from years ago, and featured a giant sized version of this photo:
th

There were people hanging out of car windows giving me all sorts of hand signals that aren't part of the highway code!
They scrapped that particular get-up soon after realising they couldn't leave the trailer unattended anywhere outside England. Last I saw it had been replaced with a nice Concorde theme.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
One for both sides to answer.
You are in primary at a five junction crossroad.
Right hand lane is a right turn only lane. Left lane is left turn, straight on and for the first right-hand exit(which just happens to be almost straight on).

Vehicle to your right is indicating left, as is the car behind you. Due to the pedestrian crossing in front of you, you can't see what's to the left of you.

Where do you go, given your intention is to stay on the same road, when the lights change?

Its not made up the junction exists and I went through it every day.

MarkF

Guru
None of this talk about the haulage industry is at all encouraging. And I'd wager conditions are worse for construction hauliers.

Agree and I am with Brandane on this issue. Hauliers collect from my unit every day, they are stressed out people, many looking to leave the industry, they are poorly paid, very, considering the skills and responsibility that are required to drive their vehicles safely. They are under enormous time pressure, not to lose money, not to lose their jobs........ all the extra safety gear mentioned in this thread won't have a significant impact until the underlying real reason (impossible drop targets with penalties) for the high % large vehicle/bike deaths is addressed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom