Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Which is why I said a solid surface.
Yeah it's amazing how Dan's coffee doesn't just sink straight through to the floor...

Twinks

Über Member
It's a bit like the bollocks argument hauliers made for cheaper fuel. They are competing with other hauliers who have to buy the same fuel after all.

I believe the argument was to do with the number of trucks coming in from Europe where the tax and fuel situation allowed them an advantage

I don't intend to get drawn into yet another long drawn out debate about lorries on the road. When I am driving a lorry, I give cyclist as much space as is practical. When I am on my bike, I keep the feck out of the way of lorries. If others choose to do things differently, then they have to face the consequences.

Yep!

I can't believe hgv drivers get paid minimum wage on average. It's a semi skilled job.

It's a semi skilled job with a huge amount of responsibility but you can believe it. The figures look better when you factor in the hours that the average truck driver will actually put in. 65+ is common for my husband. And no he doesn't need to fiddle his tacho for this to happen and he does comply with the works time directive!!!! The tacho laws are an ass, they make for stressed, tired drivers without being fiddled.

All this talk about a 2nd crewman, misses the point that the second seat in an LGV is not optimised to give good visibility. The mirrors are aligned for the driver. The seat is typically inward from the window, a 2nd man is not going to be able to see much, certainly not in the important zone, below and to the rear of the cab. And, as someone has already pointed out; legally the passenger is just a passenger - no authority to give direction.

Many companies no longer allow a passenger in the cab at all anyway due to compliance with their insurance restrictions and the risk of driver distraction.

And obstruct the drivers view in the mirror? I know what I'd be saying to the passenger!!!
The man at the wheel needs to respond instantly to what he sees, not have it relayed to him with the chance of misinterpretation.

Having a second person is not going to make it on anyone's agenda including the experts. Expecting someone to watch over all the times for a one off event is poor planning as the success outlook is not robust enough. More likely that a ban on the heavier HGV or modification of the cab spec to lower the view. So lets not belabour something that will never make the cut.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Having a second person is not going to make it on anyone's agenda including the experts. Expecting someone to watch over all the times for a one off event is poor planning as the success outlook is not robust enough. More likely that a ban on the heavier HGV or modification of the cab spec to lower the view. So lets not belabour something that will never make the cut.
No you're right, let's not, and we've already been told in this thread that lorry design isn't going to change either, so that's that then, all sorted :okay:

gavintc

Guru
IMO, this thread has headed down a cul-de-sac with the 2nd person. However, the issue still remains that large trucks and most worryingly, the tipper trucks have safety issues on urban roads. Cracking that problem is going to take a challenge. Part of the solution is cyclist education - don't cycle up the inside of trucks. But, the FTA and RHA need to improve their safety record. IMO, part of this is that Cat C vehs (tippers) are driven by less experienced and less well qualified drivers than C+E (artics). We have heard from Bradane on his salary levels for a C+E driver. One can expect that the Cat C trucks are definitely on min wage - the wage level of a Tesco checkout person!

The Traffic Commissioners need to take more action. The Operator's licence is an important licence which can be revoked by the Commissioner. Having been through my CPC a few years ago, I know how transport operators worry about the VOSA inspections and the impact on their business. I therefore suggest that this angle is most likely to get their attention. Perhaps a need for an HSE examination for any injury as a result of poordriving, demanding a need to review the operators licences.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
One for both sides to answer.
You are in primary at a five junction crossroad.
Right hand lane is a right turn only lane. Left lane is left turn, straight on and for the first right-hand exit(which just happens to be almost straight on).

Vehicle to your right is indicating left, as is the car behind you. Due to the pedestrian crossing in front of you, you can't see what's to the left of you.

Where do you go, given your intention is to stay on the same road, when the lights change?

Its not made up the junction exists and I went through it every day.
If you're in primary in the left lane waiting to go straight ahead, why is there a vehicle to your right indicating left?
Is it an HGV about to make a tight left turn and needs to use both lanes? Whatever; I would get far enough in front of it so that I could make sure the driver had seen me, by making eye contact. If that meant crossing the stop line at a red light then so be it, I'd take my chance with the law rather than risk not being seen by the driver.

gavintc

Guru
If you're in primary in the left lane waiting to go straight ahead, why is there a vehicle to your right indicating left?
Is it an HGV about to make a tight left turn and needs to use both lanes? Whatever; I would get far enough in front of it so that I could make sure the driver had seen me, by making eye contact. If that meant crossing the stop line at a red light then so be it, I'd take my chance with the law rather than risk not being seen by the driver.
I agree completely. A car/van driver is typically at similar level, but in an LGV the driver can be obscured from someone to his left - just outside the mirror range.

Dan B

Disengaged member
No you're right, let's not, and we've already been told in this thread that lorry design isn't going to change either, so that's that then, all sorted :okay:
Also, any change in the law would require a change in the law.

You're right, let's just carry on pretending that more stickers will fix everything

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nice bit of selective reading there. I think what is being said is that the design of lorries currently on the road isn't going to change any time soon. The design will no doubt evolve as needs change, and if the designers/law makers identify a need for extra glass panels or whatever to improve a drivers field of vision, then it will happen.
That's a long way off though. The current new lorries will be on the roads for years to come.

I think we all can agree without exception that more has been done and the current situation is not acceptable. Cycling by all accounts is growing and needs to be accommodated like it or not as a mainstream transport means.

Is it an HGV about to make a tight left turn and needs to use both lanes?

The other question - Is it a vehicle of an inappropriate size for a tight urban environment - somewhere upthread someone suggested £1M as the average cost of a fatality - more like the bottom end - seriously injured are more and that is just the monetary aspects - social/family costs are difficult to put a number on - we have only been talking about the cyclist fatalities - for every fatality there are at many times more seriously injured - Ive never seen the stats wrt lorry versus pedestrians and private cars but I suspect they are not insignificant.

If haulage firms cannot come up with voluntary solutions then banning large vehicles from the center of our cities during peak or maybe even daytime hours (as in Dublin and Paris) must be considered

Top Bottom