Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Contradicted?
I was merely trying to demonstrate what you are up against if you think haulage companies will employ extra staff unless absolutely forced to do so.
What you've demonstrated quite successfully is that haulage companies don't give a shoot about anything except the bottom line, not even the safety of their own employees, much less the road-using public. On which basis, why do we allow them to operate?

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 3549886, member: 9609"]you seem to have accidentally snipped out the first few words of what I said, and changed its meaning, should have started with "The reduction in"[/QUOTE]

No? You said the reduction fuel costs is immediately swallowed up by the consumer.

it simply isnt true. Goods prices are not perfectly correlated to the price of fuel.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Especially when it really IS NOT the answer to the problem! :banghead:
So what is, and if it's to stop cyclists going up the inside how is that acheived?

[QUOTE 3549878, member: 9609"]its a waste of time trying to explain anything from the other side.[/QUOTE]

I don't see a lot of explaining, I see a lot of it won't work, but not explaining. The most honest answer I've seen for not having a two man crew is that it would be seen as an invasion of your personal space.
There have been a number of suggestions put forward for discussion, the majority of which have been ignored. Of those that haven't been we've been told that lorry design isn't going to change and that two man crews aren't going to happen, the explaining why bit is passing me by I'm sorry.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
[QUOTE 3549802, member: 9609"]yeah - that will be right - got a link

take a look at @Brandane post link- he is not making this sh!t up - no pay during breaks, £15 for overnighting in cab, all par for the course.[/QUOTE]
Www.indeed.co.uk

Then type in HGV driver £25000 and it fetched up over 100 jobs in a 25 mile radius.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I realise that this is pretty much a TMN, but having read this thread through would it be possible to acknowledge that some of the deaths caused were not because some arse overtook the lorry up the inside while it was already turning?

And then maybe try and fix those? Only the opinion seems to be 'this only happens because nobbers are putting themselves in danger' and that really isn't the case. Can we show some respect to the cyclists that have been killed by no fault of their own and stop pretending the problem would disappear if cyclists just took a bit more care.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Www.indeed.co.uk

Then type in HGV driver £25000 and it fetched up over 100 jobs in a 25 mile radius.
Look into it in further detail and you will find that salaried drivers will most likely be working 11 days out of 14, and be away from home "tramping" in the truck, working up to 15 hours per day (the legal limit).
Doesn't sound quite so good now, does it?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I realise that this is pretty much a TMN, but having read this thread through would it be possible to acknowledge that some of the deaths caused were not because some arse overtook the lorry up the inside while it was already turning?

And then maybe try and fix those? Only the opinion seems to be 'this only happens because nobbers are putting themselves in danger' and that really isn't the case. Can we show some respect to the cyclists that have been killed by no fault of their own and stop pretending the problem would disappear if cyclists just took a bit more care.
Fair point, but the OP was in reference to one particular incident in London which DID involve a left hook - a fatal accident where the degree of fault attributable to either party is as yet not known.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Look into it in further detail and you will find that salaried drivers will most likely be working 11 days out of 14, and be away from home "tramping" in the truck, working up to 15 hours per day (the legal limit).
Doesn't sound quite so good now, does it?
They were hourly rates shown on the site not salaried.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Regardless of the fault in any particular case, the fact remains that for every road mile travelled tippers, skippers and, to a lesser extent, artics will come out top of the kill list for cyclists. Now what is it about these vehicles that make cyclists suddenly behave like suicides? It happens far less often with cars, so what is it about car drivers that make them more able to avoid these suicides? Could it be that car drivers are better able to see what's going on around them? In addition, as they're smaller, they will become more accustomed to filtering bikes, particularly in cities.

The individual responsibility for the latest fatality does not affect the fact that those really big things kill cyclists far more often than the averagely big things do. Which is why we should look at them first.

Fair point, but the OP was in reference to one particular incident in London which DID involve a left hook - a fatal accident where the degree of fault attributable to either party is as yet not known.

The op was a link to lorry drivers almost unanimously saying "it's all cyclists' fault" together with appeals for stickers that would absolve lorry drivers of any responsibility whatsoever. Not a single poster on that thread has even mentioned the LCC recommended training for lorry drivers. The rank prejudice and ignorance on that thread is depressing, these are so called professional drivers and they don't know what they're talking about. Most of them apparently believe injudiciously filtering is a main cause of death.

Top Bottom