Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moo

Most cyclists are too timid to ride primary and own the lane. It's not surprising when you can hear and feel the irritation from MGIF muppets inches from your rear wheel. This leads them to constantly ride near the curb and adopt the bad habbit of squeezing past stationary vehicles on the left. Can you imagine the outcry from motorists if every cyclist suddenly started to ride where they should: middle of the lane on most city roads.

lack of confidence or lack of patience - cause of most incidents

Stu Smith

Veteran
None for cyclists as they kill less than tangerines do. I agree car drivers should be reassessed.
Cyclists may kill less than tangerines do. Some cyclists do put there selves into dangerous situations and need to take more responsibility for there actions.. I do feel like some sort of awareness course would be beneficial.
Its very unproductive to stereo type any road user.

It depends on whether society should resource and pay to protect people from themselves or from others. There are cycke courses available to those rhat want. There should be little Tesources spent on forcing it as they do very little harm. Cars and more particularly lorries can and do huge amount of harm so much more tesources allocated in prevention.

Car drivers (me) shoukd be reassessed at least every 10 years.

Lorry drivers on phones kill disproportionate amount. Therefore the penalties should be much more severe.

Stu Smith

Veteran
It depends on whether society should resource and pay to protect people from themselves or from others. There are cycke courses available to those rhat want. There should be little Tesources spent on forcing it as they do very little harm. Cars and more particularly lorries can and do huge amount of harm so much more tesources allocated in prevention.

Car drivers (me) shoukd be reassessed at least every 10 years.
Fully agree.

I don't advocate any mobile phone use in any vehicle this includes hands free one lost life is one to many.
I think you will find that the penalties for professional drivers using phones and smoking, eating and drinking whilst driving will very shortly be more severe.

Look, I agree cyclists really should be carful. I am. I teach my kids to be. but those that bring the most danger should be the most careful.

If I liked juggling chainsaws and walking past your house you'd tell everyone to keep out if my way but the onus should be in me to be extra careful and look where I'm going rather than on you staying away and wearing protective clothing.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Look, I agree cyclists really should be carful. I am. I teach my kids to be. but those that bring the most danger should be the most careful.

If I liked juggling chainsaws and walking past your house you'd tell everyone to keep out if my way but the onus should be in me to be extra careful and look where I'm going rather than on you staying away and wearing protective clothing.

What !?!
Confused .com

Stu Smith

Veteran
So in that respect why is the haulage industry paying thousands of £s to fit cyclist friendly mirrors and will not be allowed in London if they are not fitted..The cyclists should not use the same road as any other vehicle because they could all be a danger to them is this what you're saying?

Nope. I'm saying those that are the most dangerous should be the most careful, take the most responsibility and have the most severe punishment for any infringements.

Roads are not themselves dangerous. If somebody brings something potentially very dangerous to it then they should make the most compromises and adapt to the situation . It is not for everyone else to adapt on their arrival.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What !?!
Confused .com
If there was someone on your street with a gun that was rather keen on shooting people would you expect the authorites to sort out the person with the gun or to advise people to never walk down that street but to wear a bullet proof vest if they absolutely had to?
There is a responsibility on all to look out for both their own safety whilst at the same time considering that of others around them, the greater the potential danger you bring to a situation the greater the consideration for others should be. The fact that HGVs are disproportionately responsible for KSIs suggests that they should be doing far more than they currently are about it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Such has..I'll put your suggestions forward.

well it's really for the lorry industry to be responsible for bringing in safety improvements, not us.

If someone's running a chemical plant that was regularly poisoning the neighbours it would hardly be for the neighbours to make safety suggestions - it would be for the chemical plant owners to sort out their safety wouldn't it?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And how much do you think the cost of living would go up then ? Or do expect the Haulage company to stand the doubling of the wage bill..

Well it's really for those doing the dangerous activity to bear the cost of preventing innocent bystanders (or cyclists) from getting killed - and the cost are duly passed on to customers.

And how much do you think the cost of living would go up then ? Or do expect the Haulage company to stand the doubling of the wage bill..
You're right. It's a bit pricey so we shouldn't do it. I suggest the airline industry to save sine money and cut all the silly safety things like spare pilots, extensive training, safety equipment strict controls on pilots activities including drinking with 24 hours of flying etc I mean, why should the airlibe industry pay for any of this.

Top Bottom