Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In answer to question of 'such as' stop this BS of drivers saying they couldn't see. All round visibility and if its too much for one person then 2.

Stu Smith

Veteran
If someone's running a chemical plant that was regularly poisoning the neighbours it would hardly be for the neighbours to make safety suggestions - it would be for the chemical plant owners to sort out their safety wouldn't it?

In all honesty how safe can we make a 55ft long vehicle in a urban area..6 mirrors a legal requirement, lot of company's now using cameras for the nearside view. More driver training is already happening.
We should all be taking responsibility for our own safety.

In all honesty how safe can we make a 55ft long vehicle in a urban area..6 mirrors a legal requirement, lot of company's now using cameras for the nearside view. More driver training is already happening.
The haulage industry shoukd also be taking responsibility for those it puts in danger

Ffs how many more of these. When will lorry drivers happily learn what it's like when a lorry close passes you. Or what it's like when one pulls up alongside you at a junction. This trading places thing only works WHEN YOU TRADE PLACES. NOT JUST WHEN US STUPID CYCLISTS ARE SHOWN JUST HOW FUDGING BADLY DESIGNED THESE LORRIES ARE

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
one of the truckers in the thread makes the point that you can put all the mirrors and cameras you want onto a truck but at the end of the day the driver only has the one pair of eyes.

It makes the argument for a second person in there far more compelling when a driver is pointing out the inadequacy of all the extra 'stuff' because there is only one of him.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Ffs.When will the cyclist happily learn what its like to have a cyclist come up the inside of him..And then have the feeling of what if I hadn't seen him or worse still doesn't see him..
Yesterday I was out on my bike for 30 Mile not one close pass from either truck or car does that make me lucky.If it does I must be lucky everyday or could I be positioning myself correctly and respecting the situation around me..

I think the more obvious question is - is a 55ft long 5 axled lorry the most appropriate vehicle in a tight urban environment? - the roads are simply not designed for a vehicle which when turning practically sweeps double the width of road of smaller vehicles - yes banning them would increase the costs of construction - but would decrease the costs to society

Top Bottom