Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ffs.When will the cyclist happily learn what its like to have a cyclist come up the inside of him..And then have the feeling of what if I hadn't seen him or worse still doesn't see him..
Yesterday I was out on my bike for 30 Mile not one close pass from either truck or car does that make me lucky.If it does I must be lucky everyday or could I be positioning myself correctly and respecting the situation around me..
My video. Lorry driver could easily see me well in front. Close pass. Shoukd I have been blamed for being on his left when he passed me? Police got involved for this one.

Stu Smith

Veteran
My video. Lorry driver could easily see me well in front. Close pass. Shoukd I have been blamed for being on his left when he passed me? Police got involved for this one.

There are Good LGV drivers there are bad LGV drivers..There are Good cyclist and Bad cyclist..

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This will never happen as in previous posts.
My father drove lorries, proper big stuff, bits of oil rig type of big. He had a drivers mate, always. On really, really big stuff where you needed two or three tractor units they had a whole team of people, drivers mates and bogie men all watching and whistling and calling out on every single junction, or bridge or pinch point. It may have been a different type of haulage but to reference your previous post which you have failed to answer my question on
All drivers have accidents and unfortunately injure or kill innocent people.
I can assure you that my father most certainly didn't.
I don't see why you seem to consider two people in a cab a non starter, it doesn't even have to be the full journey, are you familiar with how pilots operate for large ships?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

No I'm sure you are right, human life valued less than commerce?? but if (some/all??) drivers themselves see little benefit in the whistles and bells then shouldn't we be looking at other methods and spending what money the haulage industry does want to offset its disproportionate killing record on things that might make more difference in the cab than mirrors and cameras that can't get adequate attention in the mass of other observations a driver is making in a very short timespan.

*I'm considering only the in cab aspect here as this is the way the thread seems to be progressing, I'm not advocating it as the sole means of making things better, there in no journey I've ever made on a bike that was so urgent I needed to go up the side of a high cab vehicle. I dont honestly understand the logic or mentality of those who do and would never advocate it, but people do and if nothing else then for the vehicle drivers mental wellbeing should the worst happen then there needs to be some more effective means of mitigating the potential harm that can occur when a bike and high cab are in close proximity - for whatever reason and whoever may have been there 1st.

So Stu, you seem to have a level of knowledge and understanding to know what won't work. Rather than punt the question at other people, what do you suggest will make a positive difference at a price point per human life the haulage industry won't baulk at?

Stu Smith

Veteran
I don't see why you seem to consider two people in a cab a non starter, it doesn't even have to be the full journey
Driver need to collect a load in Manchester where would he pick up a second man and then drop him off, Would he drop him off before he loads or does this second man stop with him until he leaves Manchester then were does he drop him off,,Then the driver is to deliver in Birmingham he picks up yet another second man so he can deliver into Birmingham does this second man wait with him? Anybody who knows haulage this could be hours or does the second man walk back to where..
The driver then needs to go back to base in Liverpool yet another second man..Who is paying for all these second men that would be needed for every HGV entering a town or City..
Do not want to sound glib but its not economically feasible.

Stu Smith

Veteran
So Stu, you seem to have a level of knowledge and understanding to know what won't work. Rather than punt the question at other people, what do you suggest will make a positive difference at a price point per human life the haulage industry won't baulk at?
How safe can you make such a large vehicle in the constraints of urban roads..
The haulage industry can put as many mirrors and cameras on the vehicle it likes,it takes seconds for a cyclist or other vehicles cars are not immune to being side swiped with a HGV to come in the blind spot whilst the HGV driver is checking his offside mirror.

More education for both Cyclist and Drivers. But there seems to be a lot of negative comments on this..Are we all that good we can't be educated on something that could save our life..
I've also put forward side sensors on the cab working on the same principle as reversing sensors..

Dan B

Disengaged member
How much are the drivers wages in proportion to the retail value of the goods in the trailer?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Driver need to collect a load in Manchester where would he pick up a second man and then drop him off, Would he drop him off before he loads or does this second man stop with him until he leaves Manchester then were does he drop him off,,Then the driver is to deliver in Birmingham he picks up yet another second man so he can deliver into Birmingham does this second man wait with him? Anybody who knows haulage this could be hours or does the second man walk back to where..
The driver then needs to go back to base in Liverpool yet another second man..Who is paying for all these second men that would be needed for every HGV entering a town or City..
Do not want to sound glib but its not economically feasible.

but killing lots of cyclists pedestrians is economically OK? Basically that means it's still being paid for, but not by the haulage industry but by the victims. Economists term is "externalities" where the cost is not being born by those benefitting.

Bear in mind if the law said haulage industry has to do this or that, it would simply have to comply and the costs would not actually be born by the industry but passed on to its customers. It's a bit like the bollocks argument hauliers made for cheaper fuel. They are competing with other hauliers who have to buy the same fuel after all.

Of course, this is rather begging the question of whether a 2nd observer would be of benefit, but the principle of "not economically viable" simply means that someone else has to pay for the collateral damage.

None of this means cycling up the inside of a truck is remotely wise. And not cycling up the inside doesn't stop left hooks nor pulling in whilst towing a long trailer after half-overtaking either.

classic33

Leg End Member
They'll just get a driver willing to be in the cab on his own, before they'll pay for a second person to be there, again. Removed on cost grounds and because some drivers felt they were there simply to spy on them.

Be a chance to train new drivers up though. Even if it was only on the route there & back.

classic33

Leg End Member
Off subject slightly. But there are not many new drivers coming into the industry Dare I say "Good"drivers at the moment are at a premium..
Not just new to the industry, but new to the company/type of vehicle.

Local haulage company does it for all new drivers(to the company) and on route learning.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The wage bill is the second largest cost after the fuel costs..
That doesn't answer the question. 20 tonnes of baked beans is about £25000, according to the back of this envelope. How much is the driver paid to take it from warehouse to supermarket?

Top Bottom