Truly all-weather rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
Hi all,

I am looking for a replacement for my rather leaky CatEye rear light which, whilst very bright and with good light dispersion, becomes totally useless during rain, as I learned when it failed on my last night.

I have looked at countless reviews of various lights - most are published a few weeks after the lights have been purchased.

I am looking for a superbright rear light that is well sealed and will last. I would vastly prefer it to use standard batteries (AA or AAA) as I can get these at a petrol station etc if I forget to charge my rechargables

Anyone got any lights they've used for an absolute age through hail, rain and snow and have performed perfectly?

I'm looking at spending £30 at most if possible (this may be unrealistic?)

Cheers all

Cubist

Still wavin'
I think you'll struggle to find one that is as weather proof as you want, but a quick and cheap fix is to seal the snap-together join with bathroom silicone which can be peeled off when you need to change the battery.

Smart Lunar 2 would be my choice by the way. Shop around any you'll get two for your budget.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...art-Rear-Light-Lunar-2-x-1-2-Watt/SMARLIGH247

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
CatEye TL-LD3LED
I have been using 2 (1 flashing, 1 static) for the last 7 years commuting. They are fully waterproof. Have been through the heaviest of downpours many a time with no problems.

Maylian

Veteran
I used to use the cateye on the back, never had too much of an issue but then upgraded to the Blackburn 4.0 and really like it. I've never taken it off and its put up with all weather conditions over the last 5-6 months with no issue. It does sit under my saddle bag so gets a small amount of shielding.

Personally I am not bothered by how many modes a rear light has, solid and flashing is enough but I think it's a decent light.

http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights/mars-4-0-rear.html#.UCjW7aFmSXs

wisdom

Guru
Both my bikes have cateyes on them and are both fine never let me down.I did however use silicone grease around the battery cover slides each time i put a battery in.It may be worth contacting cateye and see what they can offer you.After all they are not cheap lights

mangid

Guru
Hi all,

I am looking for a replacement for my rather leaky CatEye rear light which, whilst very bright and with good light dispersion, becomes totally useless during rain, as I learned when it failed on my last night.

I have looked at countless reviews of various lights - most are published a few weeks after the lights have been purchased.

I am looking for a superbright rear light that is well sealed and will last. I would vastly prefer it to use standard batteries (AA or AAA) as I can get these at a petrol station etc if I forget to charge my rechargables

Anyone got any lights they've used for an absolute age through hail, rain and snow and have performed perfectly?

I'm looking at spending £30 at most if possible (this may be unrealistic?)

Cheers all

I've been using a CatEye LD1100 for several years now, mounted on my fixed with no mudguards, super bright, runs for ages, and totally watertight. 20K+ miles over 3 years all weathers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-led-rear-light/

Tynan

Veteran
I've very rarely had problem with water, maybe the old smartflash lights

I have an Astrum as my main light, I have it on the seatpost under the saddle in the idea that it's protected from rain and vibration and is more visible in the day due the shade under the saddle

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think you'll struggle to find one that is as weather proof as you want, but a quick and cheap fix is to seal the snap-together join with bathroom silicone which can be peeled off when you need to change the battery.

Smart Lunar 2 would be my choice by the way. Shop around any you'll get two for your budget.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...art-Rear-Light-Lunar-2-x-1-2-Watt/SMARLIGH247
I have used a smart 2 for a while and find it an excellent light although the "sale " price at ribble is more like the normal price you can pick them up for.

Drago

Legendary Member
I use Smart Superflash Nichias x 2, one solid, one flashing. Stood up well to the recent biblical levels of rainfall. That said I also have humble Cateyes getting on 10 years old that've never leaked.

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
Went for the Blackburn Mars 4. Used wetsuit glue to reduce water ingress, e.g glued a bit of insulation tape over the switch so no water can get in that way, and glued the rubber gasket to the main light component. I like this light, the circuitry is shielded by both the usual initial rubber gasket round the outside of the light but then also seems quite difficult for water to propagate from its initial inlet to the actual circuitry.

It is an exceptionally bright light, I would suggest it is possibly dangerously bright. Certainly would be a problem on group rides over unlit country roads!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Went for the Blackburn Mars 4. Used wetsuit glue to reduce water ingress, e.g glued a bit of insulation tape over the switch so no water can get in that way, and glued the rubber gasket to the main light component. I like this light, the circuitry is shielded by both the usual initial rubber gasket round the outside of the light but then also seems quite difficult for water to propagate from its initial inlet to the actual circuitry.

It is an exceptionally bright light, I would suggest it is possibly dangerously bright. Certainly would be a problem on group rides over unlit country roads!
I've used a blackburn mars 4. it's an ok light for it's price and aaa batteries. But nothing compared to a Dinotte 400R, which I would class as a true all weather rear light, as this thing is visible in the lowest and brightest sun.

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
I've used a blackburn mars 4. it's an ok light for it's price and aaa batteries. But nothing compared to a Dinotte 400R, which I would class as a true all weather rear light, as this thing is visible in the lowest and brightest sun.

Thanks for that Gaz.

I picked it up for £17 odd so it is not a bad deal. The Dinotte appears to be around 5-6x that price.

I think I will need a smaller light on the back for group rides over unlit roads though

Top Bottom