Tubeless tyre plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Apologies if this has been done before, I'm getting differing opinions when searching so thought Id just ask.

I got a puncture yesterday that didn't seal, Luckily I was about 1km away from nearest bike shop who kindly stuck a plug into it and it was fine. The cut was about 4/5mm and the plug worked but the guy in the shop said they usually recommend you replace the tyre now its been plugged.

So my question is would you replace the tyre that has been plugged to fix a puncture? or just keep on using it & topping up sealant as normal?

If I had taken the tyre off and placed a patch inside the tyre and then re-installed / topped up sealant / pumped back up again, would that be safe to continue riding for long periods of time? Of course this method is much more difficult out on the road side.

I think I need to invest in some patches and plugs just in case this happens again so I'm more prepared!

Thanks in advance

Either an internal patch or the plug is 'safe', in the sense that they're not going to fail explosively. Neither is a cause to discard the tyre.

Having ridden tyres repaired using each of those methods - two different tyres - both tyres lasted another several thousand kilometres. In the case of the plugged one, it did once leak air and sealant slightly, but this resealed within thirty seconds or so. There's nothing stopping you removing the tyre and patching the inside (cutting off the internal bit of the plug first). Doing that would provide a repair that ought to last the remaining life of the tyre.

Plugs are definitely the way to go for 'on the road' use where a cut isn't sealing. For a significant cut - say 4-5mm - which has sealed itself, I'd be inclined to also patch the tyre at home as sealant alone in a hole that size just feels slightly worrying.

footloose crow

Über Member
Long term it is prob best to replace the tyre but lots of people will keep going with plugged and patched tyres. You could switch it to the rear to avoid any risk of a split at the wrong moment on the front.

Definitely patch the inside. The plugs work well and mine seem to be working after months when I haven't got round to patching the inside yet but I know I should. It just means removing the tyre and cleaning it first.

Carrying plugs for tubeless is pretty essential. I also carry inner tubes for when a tyre plug doesn't work. And a rag and latex gloves as the sealant is a bit messy when doing a side of the road inner tube insertion. You need to remove the tubeless valve as well.

Tried various tyre plugs and currently the Stan's Dart is the best for me but is also easily the most expensive. There are reviews of tyre plugs if you google that term.

Definitely got a hole - it won't seal as it is too big. You can see the bubbles of escaping air.

Bit wedge of tyre plug and the sealant does the rest. Tyre pumped up. Pressure good. The plug is still there 500 miles later. The bits sticking out wear down or you can cut them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Either an internal patch or the plug is 'safe', in the sense that they're not going to fail explosively. Neither is a cause to discard the tyre.

Having ridden tyres repaired using each of those methods - two different tyres - both tyres lasted another several thousand kilometres. In the case of the plugged one, it did once leak air and sealant slightly, but this resealed within thirty seconds or so. There's nothing stopping you removing the tyre and patching the inside (cutting off the internal bit of the plug first). Doing that would provide a repair that ought to last the remaining life of the tyre.

Plugs are definitely the way to go for 'on the road' use where a cut isn't sealing. For a significant cut - say 4-5mm - which has sealed itself, I'd be inclined to also patch the tyre at home as sealant alone in a hole that size just feels slightly worrying.
My reply to the OP would pretty much be word for word this.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Thanks for the responses!

It's great that the tyre can be salvaged post puncture and the Stans dart kit looks like a very impressive solution. Any recommendations for patches inside the tyre?

I'll add both to the basket and order asap. Thanks again for the advice.

Top Bottom