Tubular via Clincher questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just checked the pressure and the tub has lost 30psi over 15 hours. Thats not surprising as tubs do that.
On the positive side, that rate of loss is fine for a one off race. However a 30psi loss (albeit over 15 hours) means that there is still air loss (presume while wheel and tub static and unloaded). However I wonder whether real world riding (say 60% of a 85kg load) would increase that rate?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
On the positive side, that rate of loss is fine for a one off race. However a 30psi loss (albeit over 15 hours) means that there is still air loss (presume while wheel and tub static and unloaded). However I wonder whether real world riding (say 60% of a 85kg load) would increase that rate?
I think its actually just this tub. I got it chucked in when i bought a disk wheel from a fellow tt'r and it akways seemed to loose pressure faster than my other tubs. Thats why ive fitted a new one and have this spare.
Ive just found out why, the valve has just given up. Rather annoying as i have just drilled a hole in the tub to try and get some flying pitstop. Still didnt happen and the drill bit came out with ballon type plastic wrapped around it.
It wont reinflate now as the valve is just blowing out.
Yes i mounted the tub on a clincher wheel to stick stuff in it.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think its actually just this tub. I got it chucked in when i bought a disk wheel from a fellow tt'r and it akways seemed to loose pressure faster than my other tubs. Thats why ive fitted a new one and have this spare.
Ive just found out why, the valve has just given up. Rather annoying as i have just drilled a hole in the tub to try and get some flying pitstop. Still didnt happen and the drill bit came out with ballon type plastic wrapped around it.
It wont reinflate now as the valve is just blowing out.
Yes i mounted the tub on a clincher wheel to stick stuff in it.
Stop proving people wrong cucho.....you know its not allowed. Cause they are the law ;)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Stop proving people wrong cucho.....you know its not allowed. Cause they are the law ;)
I know and im sorry. I too wanted to beleive in second hand stories and myth but ive ruined it for myself by putting 22 holes in a tub and not having a puncture. :cry:
Lets hope its all down to the clincher wheel i used to hold the tub, its the only hope left for the myth to survive!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I know and im sorry. I too wanted to beleive in second hand stories and myth but ive ruined it for myself by putting 22 holes in a tub and not having a puncture. :cry:
Lets hope its all down to the clincher wheel i used to hold the tub, its the only hope left for the myth to survive!
And are you 100% sure that no sealent squirted out when you drilled the hole?? And was you wearing safety goggles??

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Well out of curiosity I had to try the newly arrived Planet X 50mm Carbon Tubulars. Got up early and fitted them this morning. Threw in a new bottom bracket whilst I was at it. Took the Boardman for a short spin. What do I think?

WOW! :eek:

It's like riding somebody else's bike! Transformed.
Light, spins up quicker, handles on rails, ride feels stiff but comfortable. What a difference a pair of wheels can make!

After reading this thread I think I may buy some Pitstop and give them a go medium term. The money is spent so I may as well try them out properly. It would be rude not to really. Out for a proper ride tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Heres what they look like.
Sexy as f***!

When wavering towards a new bike two weeks ago I am so glad now that I stuck by the trusty SLR.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Citius

I'm sure you'll love them. The only issue will be whether you can live with them on a daily basis (as the last seven pages have testified). I didn't even like riding mine in open road races - much preferred to keep them for smooth closed circuits.

Tin Pot

Guru
You guys are really worrying me about tubulars - I was only planning to use them for long training rides and Ironman events.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well out of curiosity I had to try the newly arrived Planet X 50mm Carbon Tubulars. Got up early and fitted them this morning. Threw in a new bottom bracket whilst I was at it. Took the Boardman for a short spin. What do I think?

WOW! :eek:

It's like riding somebody else's bike! Transformed.
Light, spins up quicker, handles on rails, ride feels stiff but comfortable. What a difference a pair of wheels can make!

After reading this thread I think I may buy some Pitstop and give them a go medium term. The money is spent so I may as well try them out properly. It would be rude not to really. Out for a proper ride tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on.

^_^ glad you like them. I love riding on mine and left the race wheels on for training rides all last year. I only swapped them over for winter rides to save the rubber and i didnt really fancy strong winds hitting the disk :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom