Tubular via Clincher questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just got back from the LBS where we inflated a tub to 160 psi and then stuck a bradawl in it so it had a rather nice puncture 3 - 4 mm . I had put a bit of pitstop in the tyre and that didn't do a lot of good but it didn't fly out everywhere . We then emptied the rest of the pitstop into the tyre and inflated it to 120 psi . A bit of pitstop came out of the hole like a worm poping its head out of the ground but that was it .
Now home and inflated the tyre again to 120 psi and although air is still escaping its slowed right down . Still no pitstop everywhere which is rather disappointing .
Lol nice experiment, I take it wasn't an £80 tub?

Citius

Just got back from the LBS where we inflated a tub to 160 psi and then stuck a bradawl in it so it had a rather nice puncture 3 - 4 mm . I had put a bit of pitstop in the tyre and that didn't do a lot of good but it didn't fly out everywhere . We then emptied the rest of the pitstop into the tyre and inflated it to 120 psi . A bit of pitstop came out of the hole like a worm poping its head out of the ground but that was it .
Now home and inflated the tyre again to 120 psi and although air is still escaping its slowed right down . Still no pitstop everywhere which is rather disappointing .

The main issue will be what pressure the tub settles at. I had a Tufo tub puncture with sealant once, and it would hold pressure fine until you went above 70psi, then it would begin to blow out...

There you have your answer. Pitstop is good stuff.
Photos?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just inflated it to 170psi not even leaking air now .

ayceejay

Guru
Just a couple of additional thoughts - in the olden days we would buy tubs in advance and mount them on spare rims to stretch and cure this helped with puncture resistance we were told although there is no way to tell. I am saying this because yours being second hand may be an advantage. I once bought a pair of Clement Criterium Silks from a local bloke who had never ridden them although they had been mounted dry. They were amazing and I never had a puncture.
The other thing is that some Japanese tubs and I think some Tufo's are not stitched up so are not repairable.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Mounting a tub on a spare rim is still common practice although i thought it was to stretch the tyre before fitting not to add puncture protection .

ayceejay

Guru
I think the idea was that a fresh tub was soft and needed some time to cure making it more puncture resistant. This seemed to be the case with my Criteriums but I have no scientific reasoning to back it up.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'll do some more tests now this tub is filled with pit stop . Thanks to the chuckle brothers ive already put a whacking great hole in a perfectly fine tub and wasted a can of pitstop to check the kit i am racing with at the weekend .
It baffles me why they would put doubt into peoples minds when they claim to have raced . The last thing you want to be worrying about is your kit .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think the idea was that a fresh tub was soft and needed some time to cure making it more puncture resistant. This seemed to be the case with my Criteriums but I have no scientific reasoning to back it up.
I seem to remember doing same, both to stretch the tire and to "season" it, whatever that meant.
According to Eugene A Sloane, writing in the olden day, in the 1970s', in The Complete Book of Bicycling, it was claimed that latex bonding with the tire casing hardened while the tubulars were being aged. You were to age them, on a rim, in a cool, dark place for six months. If you rode fresh tires, your tread may seperate from the casing, and you were more prone to flats. This is a paraphrase of page 394. Spoiled milk was also used as a preventative against small punctures.

I'll do some more tests now this tub is filled with pit stop . Thanks to the chuckle brothers ive already put a whacking great hole in a perfectly fine tub and wasted a can of pitstop to check the kit i am racing with at the weekend .
It baffles me why they would put doubt into peoples minds when they claim to have raced . The last thing you want to be worrying about is your kit .

I think the central issue was the cost and convenience of using clinchers over tubs. I don't think think this can be disputed. This applies even for keen racers who cannot afford to spend time doing fixes during a race. The benefits however are still the ability to ride with a flat, no pinch punctures and a better ride. Yet I guess 99% either don't use tubs or don't need to use Tubs to make a difference.

Yes, this was common practice but completely based on lore and myth. It was just one of those things that were done without any thought because the PROs did it.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Done a small test after work today . The tub had lost pressure so I reinflated it to 140 psi and stuck a push pin in it ....... Nothing :eek:
So I did it again and ...... Nothing :eek:
So I did it again at the side and nothing :eek:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Done a small test after work today . The tub had lost pressure so I reinflated it to 140 psi and stuck a push pin in it ....... Nothing :eek:
So I did it again and ...... Nothing :eek:
So I did it again at the side and nothing :eek:
Are you a magician? It's all an illusion :notworthy:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I will see what the pressure is like in the morning and top it up if needed. Then im gonna drill holes in it :thanks:

Top Bottom