Tubular via Clincher questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
My current bike runs Mavic Cosmic Elite clincher wheels with Continental GP 4000 s II tyres in 25mm width. However being an impulsive guy today I splashed out on a set of nearly new (current model) Planet X 50mm tubular carbon wheels with a 22mm width. They are fitted with brand new Continental GP 4000 s II tubular tyre in 22mm.

I didn't realise it was 22mm until after I bought them. Now when I have run 23mm clincher tyres previously I hate them compared to 25mm clinchers. So much harsher on the road. Is the fact that these new ones are 22mm tubular going to more than compensate for being skinnier? By that I mean how do you think the new set up will compare to my current set up?

I've never even ridden tubs before. Have I made an impulsive mistake or am I going to be surprised?
Any experience shared will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Citius

You've already bought them, yes? Try them and see. Although 50mm carbon tubs are an unusual choice for everyday riding, unless you plan on racing on them...

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Waiting for them to arrive this week.

I figure that they are in awesome Nick with brand new tyres so I should be able to sell them on if I can't get on with them. However the fact they are so skinny now concerns me, but perhaps I am just naive to tubs and a 22mm tub trumps a 25mm clincher every day. I don't know.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Thanks for that. Will the ride be harsher or more comfortable in comparison?
Fast I like! Shaking my bones until they snap I don't!

Tojo

Über Member
Thanks for that. Will the ride be harsher or more comfortable in comparison?
Fast I like! Shaking my bones until they snap I don't!
The ride will be harsher, it depends what your looking for, if you're racing put up with it as you are shedding weight and hopefully gain some average speed , I used to ride on 18's ( and they were heavier than some of today's 23's) when we had to go slimmer because it was the only way to shed weight as the technology wasn't there, suck it and see......:thumbsup:

AlanW

Guru
Unless you are racing then you have just wasted your money IMHO and I certainly would not use them for everyday use or even training for that matter.

The 23mm Tubs should be more comfortable than the clinchers at the same pressure - you can even pump them up a bit higher and they will retain some comfort.

I'd watch those wheels on windy days though - there's nothing worse than a gap in a hedge to suddenly let a gust of wind through.

Last edited:
Buying tubular wheels require as much thought as buying a dog. Who will glue it? How easy is it to get on and off? What happens when I get a puncture on the road? Do I really want to commit to tyres that are twice as expensive as the equivalent clinchers? Etc. etc. Tubulars are an anachronism that must just gracefully go and die.
Some facts about tubulars:

1) They can be ridden softer because they don't pinch flat (as easily).
2) At the same pressure as an equivalent clincher they will feel the same. Basic physics.
3) They don't have less rolling resistance than equivalent clinchers unless they are glued on with hard glue (shellac).
4) They can be pumped to higher pressures than clinchers but who wants to do that? And why?
5) They are a bitch to fit and remove and it goes with quite a bit of pain. It usually feels like you are tearing the flesh away from your nails.
6) The PROs supposedly use them. But who cares? There is no sub-species of human more susceptible to myth and lore than a professional athlete. For evidence of this, just look at the unshaven faces at the start of time trials and the stabbing fingers in the air giving Thor all the glory for winning.
7) If you close your eyes, and get on a bike, you cannot tell if it is running clinchers or tubulars. If you guessed right, keep in mind that you had a 50% statistical chance of being right.
8) They are very expensive but I acknowledge that it is not my money.
9) To fix a puncture in one of them, you better brush up on your sewing skills.

Tubbies anyone?

Citius

As above. Pros typically use them because they are easier to run flat on, which means you can keep riding while your team car is called up...

They are the work of the devil, especially if you have to fix one roadside and then fix the punctured one when you get home. In my case the 2nd hand bike came with them and as soon as I could afford it, I swapped wheels.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

You have seriously escalated the doubt that was already growing in my mind.
The more I have read and researched them the more I think they will not be for me. They should sell on easily enough. I am going carbon clincher. Used 404's perhaps or SRAM's?

I will of course have one ride on the tubs and unless I am truly blown away they are going back up for sale.
That's where impulse leads :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have some Hed Jet's - they were only ever used for TT's. Sorry to be a doom and gloomer, but tubs are a pain for general riding, especially if you get a flat on the road. You'll need to carry a spare tyre which is pre glued, or has tub tape on it.

Top Bottom